Q.: thermostat replacement on an '89 Jetta...

I've done it a bunch of times on different cars but can't, for the life of me, recall whether I have to remove the bracket through which the water pump is bolted--the one that sits under the A/C compressor. In other words, can I replace the thermostat without removing the A/C compressor? Must be old age...I seem to recall: remove the belts, move the ps pump and its bracket out of the way and voila. The reason I'm asking now is that it's bloody cold outside and I want to know what I'm in for!!!

TIA! Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Randolph

Just the PS pump.

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Unbolt the tensioner bracket at the back of the motor, 2 13mm I believe, usually the tensioner itself is seized being it's exposed to the elements. Unbolt the single bolt on the back of the PS pump, the pump should drop. If you need to free up the tensioner, remove the single bolt in the front of the pump that holds the tensioning bracket to the pump. If you can, remove the tension from the belt before you remove the 2 bolts from the back of the motor, makes life much easier for reinstallation.Once the PS pump is moved out of the way, the housing is accessible on the water pump.

Brad

Reply to
Mustangbrad