Adjusting headlights on a Cabrio

My wife's 2nd hand car came without the owners manual. Her headlights annoy other drivers so I would like to adjust/lower them. Opening the hood, there is stamped just above the laps: See owners manual for adjustment! Any help out there? Bill

Reply to
williemcd

Yes, in all seriousness:

Spend the $20 to have them "aimed" at a local service station. They have the correct equipment for that purpose. Anything you do will be "by guess and by god" such that you may compromise her safety rather than reduce annoyance to others.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

In the dark parked on level ground 20-30 from a brick wall. Put some weight on the driver's seat. Using the specs in your repair manual adjust your headlights.

OR "By Guess and by God" and you will come close using your eyes and a tape measure which is my method. You can measure the light drop as you go further away from the lights. You can adjust the left and right adjustment using your eyes and measuring the distance between the brightest spots on that brick wall. 8^)

Hmmmm might the USA LHD aim> >> My wife's 2nd hand car came without the owners manual. Her headlights

Reply to
one out of many daves

On Nov 29, 1:44 pm, one out of many daves

Yes, it is. Theoretically, US vehicles favor the "right" side in their aiming.

A lot of the problems are due to owners putting new lamps in incorrectly, or using a dying-strain to twist the bayonet-fittings. The nice thing about the "correct" equipment (used properly, of course) is that these defects are also addressed.

And, of course, here in Pennsylvania, once a year we get ours "aimed" anyway as part of the Annual Inspection - yeah, right!

If one does get the headlights aimed correctly and then makes certain notations using that same blank wall, level ground and tape-measure, one can re-check when the lamps are changed. There are enough small differences in manufacture, lamp styles and lot runs that this is common-sense if one is fanatical enough to worry about such picayune matters. ;-)

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw