Anybody have anything to say about the Tiguan?

I've pretty much given up trying to find an affordable replacement for my old Passat wagon, so I've started looking at small SUVs and
"crossovers" and will live with having to fold down the rear seats when I have to carry anything.
I like my Passat, but I don't know a thing about the Tiguan beyond what I can read online.
Anybody have anything good or bad to say about it? Build quality and reliability in particular?
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

In wrote: > I've pretty much given up trying to find an affordable replacement for

Oh, never mind.
I finally took a look at the specs of the Jetta wagon and the cargo space is only 3 cu ft smaller than my Passat with the seats up, and is actually bigger with the seats down (probably because they actually fold flat).
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

On 10/23/2011 11:51 AM, Bert wrote:

No diesel.
Lynn
In wrote:

If I might change the subject since I've recently discovered that the Tiguan has less cargo space than the Jetta wagon...
How do today's diesels cope with cold weather? We still get long stretches of below-zero F weather here, with at least one -20F day per winter.
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

On 10/24/2011 12:26 PM, Bert wrote:

We used to throw in some unleaded (1 gal per 10). I don't know what they do nowadays.
Lynn
On 10/25/2011 11:09 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

I know a few who still do that (but at 20 to 1) and there is also both diesel anti-gel and '911' treatment as well.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Adding unleaded to the new common rail TDIs is a good way to get a $5000 repair bill for a fuel system replacement. There are very tight tolerances in the high pressure pump that require the lubrication of pure diesel fuel.
"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message wrote:

We used to throw in some unleaded (1 gal per 10). I don't know what they do nowadays.
Lynn
In

--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

On 11/26/2012 13:29, Bert wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I've not read anything very conclusive. I'd be more inclined to believe that for a 2001 or earlier vehicle and I've asked a couple of bus mechanics and they were of the opinion "meh" too. Besides that there are plenty of easily available additives to combat that.

Seriously? In 1978 there were 3 places in a 30 mile radius here, now almost every station has it.
In wrote: > On 11/26/2012 13:29, Bert wrote:

Seriously.
I live in a thoroughly developed part of the city, where the gas stations are either small or appendages to convenience stores. Since there was no call for diesel in the 1950s, there are no diesel pumps.
One station has a diesel pump that's apparently been out of order for the last two years.
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com says...

I took a Tiguan for a test drive. It's a nifty little car. Handles very well, you are nice and high up and get a very very good view of the surroundings, without needing a ladder to get in. Doesn't feel top heavy like some SUVs.
But.
It is not comfortable for a long drive. Your arms kind of flop around in empty space - there is no place to rest them. I would drive this for a runabout locally, but I wouldn't want to do a 100+ mile trip in it. Then I looked at the cargo space. What cargo space? There isn't any, in real world terms. 1.5 suitcases worth. Hell, my old 1980s Golf had more cargo space than that.
So I asked them what else they had in the yard that I could take a look at. They had a Passat Alltrack Diesel (this is a slightly elevated Passat with 4wd - saves my knees getting in and out of). Wow, luxury. This car is not only extremely comfortable with fully kitted out leather memory seats, it's a real driver's car - my wife agrees it is much more responsive than the two Volvo wagons we have sitting in the garage.
As for diesel in cold weather - well we don't get cold weather here in northern New Zealand, but back in Germany I used to put a proportion of unleaded petrol in to the tank, as some others pointed out.
Surprised that someone commented 'no Jetta diesel'. I am sure I saw one just the other day.
-P.