Anybody knows the cost?

If I may put a little air back in it, my friend's '85 GTI with 260K miles seems to be screwed together quite well, esp. considering how well it runs given the mileage.

Reply to
Matt B.

Bugs and Jetta sedans come from Mexico.

Golfs come from Brazil.

Reply to
Matt B.

Many late A2 Jettas bound for North America came from Mexico except the diesels...those came from Germany.

Reply to
Matt B.

Mexico.

Reply to
Matt B.

I had a 85 GTI that was US built.... it was a wonderful car right up until Rufas Johnson pulled a Ford F250 in front of me. Prior to that moment the biggest problem I had with the car was the 'ol ignition switch issue.

As for "labor issues" with the workers, by chance, were they union?

Reply to
Pencilneck

I still own a '83 GTI built in Westmoreland, PA ... 313,000 miles and counting. Original engine and no rebuild. Only real problem was the old style vent windows that kept falling out when the glue on the hinges failed ... until they decided to replace them with the '84 version that had screws to hold them on.

Of course it does use about a quart of oil every 3,000 miles or so now, most of it leaks out various places and very little burned.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

I don't really have any complaints with my 81 rabbits... but then again the most mileage they have is under 152k miles... clear coat sucks, but all else is good!

Reply to
VWGirl

Funny what I'm reading. I am in the process of test driving Jettas. When I asked where the cars were built I was told that the Jetta Sedans are built in Mexico and the wagons in Germany. Can anybody enlighten me further.?

Reply to
Harry Wilke

The Jetta Wagon is built in Germany at the Wolfsburg plant. The reason for this is that what we get as a Jetta Wagon is actually a Golf Wagon. The 2 cars are more or less identical, so VW builds them at one plant to save money.

The Mexican built Jettas are very high quality, and in my experience, they have fewer issues than those built in Germany.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman