Anyone know how to ID what year a injector pump is.

I have an 86 golf diesel with a replaced boneyard pump in it. Can the year of the pump be determined by the part number, or any other means. I mean between 85 to 92. Its one of those years, but its not an Ecodiesel, turbo, or pre 85 pump. Its got the idle speed boost setup on it too. But no detents you can feel when you pull out the timing lever. I don't think 85 had detents ,because the Bentley manual has no idle settings for detents in 85 , but in 86 it does. This would Id the pumpas an 85. But if the detents are wore out, it doesn't. I think they are wore out. The reason I ask is the

85s and 86 have different timing limits. The 85 is 0.90-1.05mm. The 86 is 0.83-0.97mm .I'm at 0.97, which is good for both. The engines are the same except hydraulic/solid lifters, and the extra oil drain passage. But I,m at the upper limit for the 86 , but not the 85. I'm not going to bump the timing back and forth between winter and summer , to boost the power and mileage. So I,m stuck with the factory limits. But I,d like to see if I can cut down the black smoke some. I figure if its got an 85 pump I can bump it up some more without affecting my winter starting. Thanks. Oh yea, I went and drove a new Rabbit today, It was Dark Green with no trim. stickshift, Its pretty sweet. It is pretty much how I like VWs, but I wouldn't want the 2.5L. I may get one when they are 7-10 years old, and use it as a pickup truck. Then again I may wait and get a TDI and use it the same way. I have a lota hope for the new VWs, I hope VW has learned their lessons from their mistakes. Most of you know I rag VW a lot, about their stupid s_ _ _ . But I haven't ragged the new ones yet. Just VWs current business strategies. Thanks Verndiesel
Reply to
none2u

The year isn't encoded in the part number however if you posted the part number one of us can at least see what the ETKA says.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
none2u

so far the ETKA shows it on Golfs and Jettas with the ME diesel through

1988.

Not shown at all (no injection pumps) on 1989 Golfs (I guess we didn't get Golf diesels that year?).

For 1989 for Jettas, it shows a 'G' on German-made Canadian diesels, continues to show 'F' for MF Turbodiesels, and for (pay attention now) German-made US spec diesel Jettas it shows a totally different number:

068130110N, but USA-made Canadian-spec 1989 Jettas still got 068130081C for the pump. Got all that?

The turbodiesel Jetta w/the MF turbodiesel engine up through 1988 shows it with a 'F' at the end of the part number instead of a 'C'.

For '90-92 on Golfs with the ME engine it shows it with a 'G' at the end instead of a 'C' and these ones are Canadian only (I guess we didn't get diesel Golfs after '88 then?).

For 1990 on Jettas for the 1V engine (ECOdiesel I think?), it shows

068130081MX (the X = rebuilt I think).

For 1991-1992 Jettas it then shows 'FX' on the canadian MF turbo diesel, a 'G' on the Canadian ME diesel, and a 068130110N (same as 1989 Jetta) on ME USA diesels.

Confused? :)

So what you got there (068 130 081 C) seems to be used for Golfs or Jettas up through 1988 non-turbo-diesel models and on USA-made Canadian-spec 1989 Jetta diesels.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
none2u