Burning smell... 96 Golf 1.8

Lent my Golf 1.8 to a friend, when he returned it the oil level had dropped below min (not off the stick) and the coolant level had dropped below min. Never lost any coolant before. Car normally consumes a negligible amount of oil.

Now I have noticed two new things. After a short motor way trip the engine 'ticks' more after switching off the engine. From stopped, I notice a burning smell when revving a tad more than usual before letting in the clutch.

Engine runs OK otherwise, no low in power etc.

Any comments?

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Yeah, why did you mark your message to not be archived? The whole point of Usenet is for people to benefit from the knowledge of others.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Sorry. Will repost without X-No-Archive flag:

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Lent my Golf 1.8 to a friend, when he returned it the oil level had dropped below min (not off the stick) and the coolant level had dropped below min. Never lost any coolant before. Car normally consumes a negligible amount of oil.

Now I have noticed two new things. After a short motorway trip the engine 'ticks' more after switching off the engine. From stopped, I notice a burning smell when revving a tad more than usual before letting in the clutch.

Engine runs OK otherwise, no low in power etc.

Any comments?

++

Now I've found some spots on head (see 3 spots in this picture).

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

"Signal" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

It seems it's running little hotter then usual. This could explain the increase of oil and water use. Check out the o2 sensor and timing.

SFC

Reply to
SFC

Check the coolant to see if there is oil in it and check the oil to see if there is coolant in it.

How long ago was the oil and coolant levels checked?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks I'll ask my garage to do that.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

The coolant looks green. I suppose there would be oil around the cap if it got in? Not sure how to check the oil for coolant.

Coolant about a month ago and a couple of weeks before that. Don't often check it's normally dead on the line. Oil checked regularly.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Yes, never, ever, lend a car to a friend. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...

Reply to
PeterD

OK the coolant looks fine, and I haven't lost any more. The temperature gauge is behaving normally: rising to normal operating conditions and holding steady. No noticeable difference in driving. Still the burning smell when over revving slightly...

Here's what I see under the filler cap after a short run..

I know it's hard to tell from a picture, but does this look like coolant contamination? [It's semi-synethetic btw]

I am of course concerned he's blown the head gasket!

Appreciate the help guys..

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal