MK2 Golf GTi 8V oil pressure

The Golf's playing up. Must be because I've polished it.

When the oil's warmed up to 80 degrees C or so, the oil pressure lamp comes on if the engine's allowed to idle. Rev it at all, and it goes back off.

The sensor that operates below 2100 revs goes off if oil pressure drops below 0.3 bar. I've previously had a couple of buzzes above 2100revs, which means pressure's dropped below 1.8 bar, but this has gone away quickly, either on it's own or after stopping and restarting the engine (this was with VW 10w40 oil). The oil's been changed since, by my very helpful Dad to whatever he puts in his Jag.

Pointers on whether this sounds like oil pump, wrong grade oil, dodgy electronics or the bottom end of the engine dying would be nice.

Reply to
Doki

Are you using a genuine or German OE equivalent oil filter? JB

Reply to
JB

It's a MANN filter. I think they make the VW ones, but I'm not 100% sure.

Reply to
Doki

Yep. They are indeed the same as the VW part with a different label. I was hoping that it may have been a dodgy filter. Just a though, have you checked the oil pressure relief valve for the oil pump? A poor spring or a bit of crap in there could cause the valve to stick partially open giving you the exact symptoms.

JB

Reply to
JB

Nothing's checked yet. I suspect the low oil pressure at running temp is caused by the oil change - the car was fine previously with a slightly bunged up rad which got the engine very toasty and I never had oil pressure problems in traffic.

OTOH it threw the alternator belt the other day, meaning no drive to the water pump and an oil temp of 120 odd when I pulled over. My understanding of chemistry isn't good enough for me to know if this can permanently affect oil or not...

Reply to
Doki

120 C is not a problem for oil. If it doesn't look burnt and a drop on white card shows a golden edging then it's fine. (doesn't apply to diesel engines though of course....)
Reply to
Chris Street

If the engine has a high mileage, my guess would be that the oil pump is a little tired, coupled with, let's say, a well used bottom end. A heavier oil might solve the problem. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

114k, which isn't a horrific amount. Oil pumps are known to be a bit shit on these.
Reply to
Doki

If it's not rattlimg like a bastard then it's probably the oil pump. If you can't be arsed then 20W50 may help.

Reply to
Duncanwood