buying advice

I am looking at buying a 1990 Golf 1800 Automatic on wednesday. Has anybody experience of the auto boxes on these cars, ie longevity etc. Its done

77,000 miles from new, with a full service history etc. How many miles can be expected from the autoboxes? etc ( Its been owned by an elderly couple, so does low mileage, and hopefully sensible driving help it last longer)? etc

Cheers

Neil

Reply to
Neil

As long as the fluids are proper they can last quite awhile. :-)

If the diff fluid is low or gone............another trans will be needed usually!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

It's like a lotto ticket... sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

yeah but with a lotto ticket you expect to lose your dollar and hope you win! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

RUN AWAY SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig

Reply to
Craig

The main trouble VWs have had from early on was a leaky seal between the Auto fluid and the normal gear oil in the transaxle.

If the seal isn't leaking inside then other than abuse you should be OK.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Thanks for all the comments. Hope to pick it up tuesday and it will be driven over 100 miles on Motorways etc back home. Seems genuine, all original etc and couldnt have hoped for a better example. Was worried that it hadnt been used enough. Its 19 years old and I have had one vehicle that did more miles than "it" has in its first year. All will become clear tommorow. I will report back. I still think its a lucky find for £500

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Well....What can I say...It drove like new.....so smooth we had trouble working out what gear it was in sometimes. easily did over 100mph with no effort (oops....I mean...er....70, as thats the limit of course) and everything works except 1 brakelight out. Hopefully just a bulb...so all round a very happy chappy at moment. service history is meticulous, and has had cam belt and tensioner done recently. Only other thing i found whilst bringing her/him back was the remote mirror handle/plug thing pulled off on passenger side whilst adjusting mirror. All in all a bloody good buy, and should give years of service. I will give it a good going over thursday though.

drives like a new car, if not better.....than some....

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Good show Neil!! ;-)