Carello H1 headlight source?

Hi all...

Got stuck in the snow the other day and busted out the lens of my H1 high beam while trying to push the car out (yes, I put my hand right on it...it had some chips/cracks already). I really don't know much at all about these headlights and how they go together. The Carello lights were installed by the previous owner and I haven't had to do anything to them in the eight years I've owned the car...

So, I'm not sure what I need to replace or where to find what I need. Can I buy just the lens, or will I need to buy the whole assembly? Is there a good source for Carello, or would I be better off replacing it with Hella or some other brand?

Also, what models (VW or other) have H1's as stock equipment? I'm having a hard time searching some parts sites that only let you search by make/model/year.

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
Jason Faas

What car are we talking about here? I'm guessing an A1 or A2 Golf/GTI/Jetta/Cabby with quad rounds?

Most quad rounds are Hellas and are H3s. H1 Carellos are more rare and I don't think they're factory and are probably aftermarket. (Sure it's a H1?) I don't know if a H3 Hella will bolt into a spot for a H1 Carello (dunno if the mounting tabs are the same or not).

Reply to
Matt B.

Car is an '87 Golf, I left that out since the lights aren't stock. Yes, quad rounds. As I said, I've not done a thing with the headlights. My dad has all the paperwork from the previous owner, and he said they are 5 3/4" H1. It was a conversion kit from Autobahn.

H3's are 5-1/4" if I understand correctly. I'll get out and double check the measurement today.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Faas

The H1-or-H3 has nothing to do w/the outside diameter directly (just coincidental).

Best thing is to just check the bulb itself.

Sounds like if it's an aftermarket conversion, it's probably one of the less-expensive "non-Hella" conversions. Places that sell the non-Hella conversions are probably the ones that sell Carello-based conversions. I'd say call a place that sells the non-Hellas, ask if they're Carello, and if so if you can buy just the lamp. If you can it'll probably be special order. Also might wanna try emailing Cullen ( snipped-for-privacy@eurocullen.com) he might be able to help.

Reply to
Matt B.