Clogged oil/air separator?

1991 Jetta GL.

My car has started to do it's bad stumbling again. I fixed it last time by replacing the plugs which were horribly oil fouled. But it's started again.

This time rather than replace the plugs I thought I'd try the infamous italian tune up. I'm chugging along at 6k RPM and I look in my rear view and I can't see the guy that was following me. "Oh shit, that's what that disclaimer is for." But it kept running, so I kept driving.

Evenually I found a gas station and pulled over. The oil wasn't being burned from inside the cylinder, I had had some spewed all over the intake (and landed on the exhaust).

So I decided to remove my vent rebreather, that way atleast I wouldn't be getting oil into the intake. I kept driving and tried "cleaning" it again. This time I got alot more smoke. Pulled over and found EVERYTHING was covered with oil. I replaced what I estimated I lost and made it to my destination.

After a quick search on ramvw I found out about the oil/air separater being clogged. Is is this what it sounds like? Or am I in for something worse?

Reply to
Jedediah A Frey

If you are having a lot of blowby it could be either leaky rings or bad valve guides. Does your car still have a plastic thing over the camshaft that prevents you from seeing the camshaft? If not you can get one from a junkyard and install it. It reduces the amount of oil that gets flung into the screen that is supposed to help seperate the oil from the oil in the breather hose. I though that the breather hose was also supposed to have a restrictor in it. A little metal or plastic plug with a small hole drilled in it. Instead of the hose being 3/8 of an inch internally the restrictor makes it an 1/8 of an inch. Also note that replacing valve stem seals can sometimes reduce oil consumption by significant amounts. I have had vehicles that were using oil every few thousand miles go to not needing to add oil in

10,000 miles. Of course if your valve stems are worn then new valve stem seals may not last that l>1991 Jetta GL.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning