compression woes

Well now, got the compression numbers on the vr6 passat that gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. Cyls 2,4 and 6 are all around 180 psi (cold engine). Cyls 1,3 and 5, O psi, 60 psi, and 0 psi.

Bent valves on 3 and 5? Skipped tooth on timing chain? blown timing chain tensioner? All of the above? Any bets before I take off the valve cover?

Regards - Chris

Reply to
starburst

none2u

I'm betting blown head gasket and/or warped head.

Any way you cut it, you gotta pull the head off to find out fer sher.

Tim Wohlford '89 golf '98 jetta

Reply to
geek49203

Sounds like a cam stopped. Ugly if it's an interference engine. A couple other possible causes: Sheared woodruff key or broken (or backed-out) dowel on cam sprocket, broken camshaft (esp. if engine ran low on oil).

JRE

Reply to
JRE

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

The site's giving me a "nicht gefunden," but if it's Chopin I've a feeling it's that funeral march - "dum dum da-dum..." - right? Chuckle.

It's... It's my future... I see a disassembled engine...

My project for the spring.

Reply to
starburst

SEITE NICHT GEFUNDEN Die angegebene Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden.

Reply to
Dave

SEITE NICHT GEFUNDEN Die angegebene Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden

Reply to
Jim Behning

The good news is that finding the problem won't be hard. Something will be very obviously broken. A peek down the sparkplug holes would be a good start. See if the pistons and valves still move.

The ugly part is fixing it.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie