VW Golf Trunk/hatchback size

hey, looking to buy a Golf. not sure what year i would be getting though. Can anybody tell me the size of the trunk space/hatch opening . thanks!

Jordan

Reply to
jordan88

for starters you should tell us if you're looking at a mk2, mk3, or mk4 Golf (what year?).

Reply to
Matt B.

im thinking around a 2000. but i just need an estimate because i need to fit my guitar amp in the back.

thanks,

Reply to
jordan88

im thinking around a 2000. but i just need an estimate because i need to fit my guitar amp in the back.

thanks,

Reply to
jordan88

Reply to
none2u

I regularly put lumber in my Golf. Largest thing I've had in there, with the hatch closed, is a twin mattress (resting on my head).

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

edmunds.com lists the '00 Golf (would apply to all 1999.5-2005 models...these are Mk4s) as having 18 cubic feet luggage space.

Reply to
Matt B.

2000 would be the a4 generation (late 1999 to 2006 -- early 1999 was the a3 generation).

Why not find one for sale and test fit the amp in it? There are several possible cargo configurations, depending on whether the back seats are up or down, and whether the cover over the cargo area is in place. Seats up with the cover on conceals the cargo area from thieving eyes, but gives the least cargo area; seats down with the cover off gives a large cargo area with a large opening to get stuff in and out.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Reply to
tacurong

For sedans they're pretty good but they're going to lack the height of a hatchback's cargo area.

Reply to
Matt B.

It looks what way to me too (I have an A2 Golf), but Edmunds lists the A2 cargo space as 17.7 cu. ft. and the A4 as 18 cu. ft. And the A4 has those silly covers where the taillights are that would otherwise be usable space.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them