creaking sound when putting into 1st gear... (unless done ridiculously gently) help pls

hi ppl... yeah, i'm not sure on this, but the previous owner, for unknown reason, cut a piece of plywood to fit over the spare tire and
cover the whole trunk (hatchback model) and I was first under the impression it was just the firm plywood not "giving" with the rest of the frame when you put it into first...but the creaking seems to extend a little farther to the front than you would expect if it was that...you can hear it under and just behind the front seats...
this car went into a ditch with previous owner with just a scratch along door and the front vinyl thing under the bumper torn a bit...is it possible that some drive elements got bent a bit... theres a slight movement in steering well when you take your hands off it at low speed/gear
thanks for reading this in advance my friends..
Rez
Hello, A creaking noise is near impossible to respond to because it could be anywhere in the car. The information you give is almost useless. The piece of wood could be completely irrelevent, Its a good idea if you use your VW like a truck like I do. You dont say if the car is rusty or not. The steering wheel moves could be irrelevent too. I guess if it was my car I'd put it up on ramps and check the following. The floors rotting under the drivers seat, Transmission and motor mounts worn, A frame and rear axle bushings, Exhaust, heat shields, or brake lines rubbing, when you use the gas. I'm also going to say if you don't work on cars , dont get under any ramps. Let a shop do the inspection.......

ok thanks... didn't want to get too lengthy in my description the car is pretty new..a 95 but with only 30,000 km on it...
i assume that with a quality car like a vw, one with only 30,000k on it...that it had to be this inflexible piece of wood not giving with the torque (perhaps entirely erroneous idea) or something to do with the transmission and gears...it seems to be not gentle to put into that first gear...making me put it in gear slowly (thats when it creaks) it seems hard to put it in gear gently to first...the creaking seems to involve the amount of rev with "nowhere to go" just as you let it in.. i dont know.. maybe the throttle or clutch cable is very tight.. I had hoped someone would have an idea before i take it in...

Damaged or worn shift linkage? Bad 1st gear synchro?
Hard to say.
Damaged or worn shift linkage? Bad 1st gear synchro?
Hard to say.
On 8 Jan 2006 03:44:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ok thx for the effort..

Clutch pedal spring? or Throw-out bearing but that would be noisy and you would feel the grinding in the pedal.
--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

A shift busing kit for your car is only about $10. You might also try greasing the big rod that runs up from the shifter to the trans. Grease it where it goes through that big support bushing attached to the body. White lithium grease would work OK but molybdenum grease would be best.
Bill 78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02