1st wart on the new Daytona

I finally got around to doing a little checking on the '64 Daytona convertible I posted about last Tuesday

Hey, we have been getting the house (aka money pit) ready to list yesterday. Then today, the state DEP (like EPA) was running a free tire disposal for county residents- 10 tires per licensed driver. So I loaded 20 old tire, the wife and took them in. They even unloaded them for me. Anyhow, I wouldn't have dared to take time to play with cars. When I did I found out why the PO left a can of starting fluid in the front seat. It simply will not start with out a squirt after it has been sitting a while. I'm not sure how I got it off the trailer Tuesday. I pulled the throttle linkage and watched the carb throat (2bbl Stromberg)- no sign of accelerator pump action and, after it idles a while gas drips from the front of the carb. So, tomorrow to the FLAPS for a kit. It was doubly annoying because whenever I gave it gas to move, it died and wouldn't start without a squirt of ether. Then it was triply annoying because, for some unknown reason, the spring is missing from the hood latch. I'd pull the release handle, hop out, run up front only to find it had locked itself again. That's the second '64 I have found with no spring. So, also tomorrow, to the barn and take one off another hood. On the other hand, I still haven't found any sign of rust or damage (was a mouse nest under the back seat). The AM radio works just like the PO described in his listing- one station (static). Top goes up and down just fine and all the windows crank ok. The PO said it didn't have the factory jack, but I found it was snubbed down under the spare tire (which is also a new Goodyear 205x75x15- matches the four on the ground except that the green is still on the whitewall). Apparently the owner previous to the seller didn't like a jack rattling. One thing that surprised me is how comfortable the bucket seats are. I thought they were the same as GT Hawks, but somehow these seemed more comfortable. Even the wife commented on how nice they felt. More later, Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Paul, My 64 Daytona convertible doesn't have the spring either. I keep a nickel in the console and when I pull the "T-handle" I put the nickel behind it and go open the hood. Works for me. Been doing it since '92. John Wherry Clinton PA

Reply to
JWW

Paul Johnson wrote: .

Knowing your history, there will be....

Karl

Reply to
midlant

My '64 Cruiser has the spring, but my '64 Daytona does not. Did they possibly come both ways? On the Daytona, I keep the rubber bumpers at the front corners of the hood adjusted so that there is just a little pressure when the hood is closed. They pop the hood just enough to clear the latch when the handle is pulled. A side benefit is that, without the spring, you don't have to slam the hood. One finger and it goes "thud" like a Mercedes door.

Jim Bradley '62 Cruiser '64 Daytona "Rerun" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Remove HAT to reply

JWW wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bradley