Cruise Control Problem 2000 Jetta

2000 Jetta GL 2.0

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. When I set the cruise control it works for a short period of time 10-15 mins. Then it kicks off and will not let you set it again until a later date, like a different day. Anyone have a place for me to start?

Also replacing the timing belt and tensioner soon. If you have and helpful hints for that one also. I have heard that its not a bad idea to replace the water pump while I'm there.

Any helpful tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

I changed the timing belt and water pump on a 96 Jetta. On mine, it's a good idea to change the thermostat at the same time because (if I remember right) it's just about attached to the water pump. Of course

-- be really, really careful about keeping everything synchronized with the timing belt. I never could find the alignment marks on the crankshaft. I have both a Haynes and the Shop Manual. They said it was inside a peep hole on the transaxle housing but I couldn't tell what was what -- I didn't even breath around the thing when I slipped the old belt off.

No clue about the cruise control. Mine hasn't worked for years and I haven't tried to fix it. I'm too busy.

Good Luck Mike

Reply to
RepairJunkie