1997 jetta

Hoping anyone can lead me in the right direction. I have a 1997 Jetta gl

2.0L that once in a great while, ( once every 1-2 weeks), will not start right away. It will usually take 5-6 times and then fire up.

I did a complete tune up 30,000 miles ago and had the fuel filter changed. However the mechanic put it in backwards so I corrected the direction. Other than this problem the car runs fine for 140,000 miles on it...

I know this is a vague description of the problem but I was hoping this was a typical common problem and points to a specific part failure..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Joe Orapello

Reply to
Orapello

Hey, it's not too early for another. However I do have a couple of questions and maybe you can see where I am going. Did you replace the plug wires 30,000 miles ago? Do the days you have trouble seem to be damp days?

Acturally it could be almost anything.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks for the reply

The wires, plugs, dist. and rotor all changed..and it could by sunny out and this happens...no damp days so far..

Thanks

Reply to
Orapello

Just to test out that theory, start up the engine (near your home or parts store is preferred) then spray the ign wires and ign coil with water. You can use a spray bottle. If the engine starts to miss while spraying wires = bad wires. If the engine stalls while spraying ign. coil = bad ign coil. I have seen weak coils cause problems with not starting easily especially in damp weather. One time it was with a new coil just installed one week prior! :-(

dave

Thanks Dave I will give it a try

Joe

Reply to