Cruise Control Unit on Cabrio

Anyone have any experience replacing a Cruise Control unit on a Cabrio? Mine is 2000 and the dealer says the cruise ctrl unit neds to be replaced and the part is $600. Can I buy this somewhere and install it myself? Perhaps it's a simple task.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Reply to
shendershott

That is asite that I order good parts from, cheap. But for it being a simpletask, I have no clue, I only read this forum for the advice.

Reply to
emilyb49

Ouch, the prices at the stealerships do sting! You can also try Ebay - they generally have them listed from salvage yards and are extremely cheap but they don't have any available currently for your year - I just looked - unless this part number will work: VW Cruise Control Module 4D0 907 305. Its selling for between 20 and 45 dollars. Try

- they are a huge salvage yard that handles tons of VW's. I'd give them a call - and they warranty them for 6 months. It may be possible to do it by removing the driver's side vent/surround to gain access - it should be a box right behind the vent - this is the way they are mounted on A3 - not sure about your 2000 Cabrio but I think they are almost identical. To remove the vent you'll need to remove the headlight switch, pull the plate to the left of the switch first. To remove the headlight switch there is a trick - using a flat screwdriver press in on the left side of the switch - there is a button at the top - inside that will release the switch. Then remove the screws behind the vent - pull it out. There should be two boxes mounted in tandem - the alarm and cruise control unit. Its held in place by a single

10mm nut that is bolted through the crossmember. You'll need to remove all power by disconnecting the battery first - remove the three quick connects to the boxes and unbolt the unit - slide it out and replace the cruise control unit and reinstall. To do it it shouldn't take more than an hour - tops.
Reply to
Stephen Timinski