Cutting Out VW Golf CL

Hi, I have just, driven my Golf CL J reg car, and it seems to cut out. It seems intermitent, but generally when i slow down at a roundabout, or junction,it seems to do it.

it literally cuts out, and the red lights in the dashboard come on, and all u do is restart the car.

Dows anybody have any ideas, as its an ongoing saga, that seems to be unable to be resolved.

is it an electrical or fuel problem?

Thanks again :-)

Reply to
VW Internet

The car is a J reg mark 3 if that helps ?

Reply to
VW Internet

You could start by cleaning the throttle body and idle stabilisation valve. Does the car run well other than this problem?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I'd try looking for vacuum leaks around the ISV and on top of the cam cover. On my GTI (mk2) there is a small rubber gasket, that splits and you get those symptons.

Reply to
Jon B

for us not in the UK, what year is 'J' and what type of ECU the car has?

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Chris Hi, The car runs well, its recently had a service, hoping that would cure the problem.

Reply to
VW Internet

Eduardo Hi, Not sure what J is, i think its 93.

Reply to
VW Internet

Jon B Hi, The cam belt has just been replaced, and the water pump was totally corroded, On the drive home, it cut out, again.

Reply to
VW Internet

Asuming its inyected, the computer should keep the car from stalling (cutting out) at slow speeds. Assuming also that it only cuts out at low speeds, the most likely culprit is the IAC, which in all 93s I've seen is a cilindrical metal thing near the intake manifold with two hoses and an electrical connector attached.

I would start by taking that thing out and cleaning it with carb cleaner.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

It's 1992 Don't know what ECU, but since it's a CL it's probably a 1.8 single-point injection.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

In that case, check the vacuum hoses like Jon B suggested, and try cleaning the ISV like myself and another poster suggested.

Jon also suggested a leaky gasket or seal- in particular check the one that seals the injector body (I'm assuming single-point injection, as it's a CL) to the inlet manifold.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Eduardo, Ok, there is 1 way to learn, and it dosnt sound to hard to clean a carb out, by just spraying carb cleaner. I wont take it apart tho.

cilindrical

Reply to
VW Internet

Chris, The Engine is a 1.4

Reply to
VW Internet

You dont have to take it apart at all. Just disconnect the hoses and the electrical connector. Then spray the carbcleaner inside the device and years of crap will come out :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Carburated?

Reply to
Eduardo K.

I'll bet it's injected. It's about the time that catalysts became a legal requirement here in the UK (1992-1993).

I don't think the 1.4 (or indeed any mk3 Golf) ever came with a carb anyway.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Has this only just started since the cambelt was changed? If so suspect the timing is out. If not as covered before look for little rubber hoses/gaskets around the inlet and top of cam cover if any of those are split it will run badly

Reply to
Jon B