1995 VW Golf CL(?) (sorry for the cross-post!!)

I just purchased my first car, a 95 VW Golf (I think it's a CL...), for $2500 CDN (someone said I got it for about half price, but then that I'd probably be spending the difference just fixing the car up!!!) and being your average chick I know very little about cars - but I'm determined to learn!!!

The other day I pulled off one of the covers on the dash/instrument panel just above the cigarette lighter (which doesn't work- but I know I have to check the fuses etc.), and when I pulled the panel off I discovered an electrical 'plug' of some sort... very similar to the one that plugs into the back of the car stereo. Can anyone tell me what this is???

When I purchased the car the guy I bought it from had replaced the original stereo with another slightly better stereo, but it doesn't work now (faceplate broke). He left the original stereo in the trunk, so I tried to install that one last night.... everything when fine, I pulled the broken one out, admired the hack job someone did with the wires, removed the hacked up wires and plugged in the original stereo. So here's where my question comes in- I understand that there is some sort of anti-theft device built into the stereo, and when it's activated the display is supposed to read 'safe' and once you enter the device 'code' it should work (unless you manage to 'lock' yourself out of the system), so I hooked everything up, the buttons light up, but the display is blank.... did I do something wrong or is the stereo just toast?? Oh, and if you don't have the card with the code to unlock the radio where can I get that number???

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reply to
lilmissgiggles

That plug is for hooking up a diagnostic computer...sorry I can't help on the stereo issue.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Is the Rabbit resting in some rabbit retirement home and only has a part time job? Is it working part time as a lawn orniment(sp?).

Just wondering what semi-retired for now means. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Good guess with the lawn ornament!

It is not registered, as I can't justify the insurance on all these cars...so it just gets out for a late night blast around the neighborhood once in a while. The rust has progressed to a rather advanced state so it may transform from semi-retired to organ donor quite soon.

Reply to
Tony Bad

{snip}

The lighter and radio often share the same fuse. Chances are it got blown by the hack job. I hate when people do that.

Contact a VW dealer with the radio serial number and the car's VIN.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

cool... thanks for the help (something is always better than nothing!!!)

"That plug is for hooking up a diagnostic computer...sorry I can't help on the stereo issue."

Reply to
lilmissgiggles

That's how you spell it. :)

I had a feeling that was the case. It's always good to have a known history vehicle for an organ donor. :-) If the gas keeps rising, the donor should be sooner than you would think. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

I paid $5580 for a golf Mk3 last year, year younger than your's. I'd expect it to sell for half that now. But has low mileage for its age.

Reply to
Joe