Dealership recommendation in D.C. area

I'm looking into buying my first VW. I've heard such bad things about their service/quality, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I went to Alexandria the other night to drive a used GTI. They are thieves, so I wont be going back there anytime soon (quoted me $16000 and budged to $14500 on a car they were advertising in paper for $13850). But I need to know where in the Washington D.C. area there is a reputable dealer, for new or used. Someone who will fix the car when I take it in under warranty (and I know I'll be going back at least once a month for some problem or another). Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Andrew

I bought new Golf from Congressionsal in Rockville, MD.

The salesman, Paul Kopsidas, was the best I've dealt with in decades of buying cars.

The service has been something of a REAL disaster.

1) Wrong diagnosis for external mirror controls even when I had supplied a correct written diagnosis, they ordered one mirror motor even though both mirrors were inoperative, insisted it hadn't arrived when I called after 10 days*, they never called me, returned part to factory since I hadn't come for installation for a month. Got wrong part again overnight, Realized error. Said they has fired original technician. They had the correct part in stock. Out of the goodness of their heart, said they wouldn't charge me for the wiring scramble (their first technician caused) - even though they said they should.
  • At that time I got them to agree that the mirror motor couldn't be the problem, but they didn't change their story.
2) At 10K mile service [had to wait 2 weeks for appointment] I gave them pictures of the gap in the rubber molding around the driver's window. They said they would have to order it. The bill had a charge for the molding work - even though under warranty. I complained and after a long wait cashier came back with corrected bill - said I would have to see the service people to find when part would arrive. The service manager sent me to his assistant - she said they DID, in fact, have the part in stock and the work was complete. Some mumbles about the initial charge on the bill.

The assistant strikes me as confirming that some young blondes really ARE dumb. She's the one who said the VW "Recommends one quart per thousand miles oil consumption". That's right - "recommends". The oil consumption has slacked off from the original quart per 2500 miles. It now looks more like a quart per 5000 miles.

Let's say I'm not happy with the service at Congressional. Unfortunately they are far more convenient for me that the next-nearest dealer which is in DC.

Golf now has about 12,500 miles on it.

Reply to
R J Carpenter

SNIP

When I heard the two-week wait for the 10,000 mile service at Congressional, I called Martens in NW DC (service just over the line in Maryland).

Martens: "Did you buy the car from us?" Me: "No" Martens: "The wait for routine service will be three weeks."

Reply to
R J Carpenter

It really is sadd how poor VW service is in so many places, so I have to give a good review. Clair VW in Saco Maine has been great from purchase through each and every service so far. I called this afternoon to schedule a 30K service for my car, they were able to get me in for an evening appointment on Thursday. No problem with me bringing my own oil, either.

No affiliation, just need to get the word out that there are good dealerships out there.

And the only problem I have had with my car is a slightly noisy wheel bearing, fixed with no quibbles at the 20K service.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

02 Golf GLS TDI 84 Jetta GLI
Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

I've had reasonably good luck with Fitzgerald in Annapolis. Every other service is free and free loaners if you schedule your service a week in advance. I've never had a problem getting my car in for service - if I need a loaner usually less than a week and if I don't usually the next day. Only actual problem I've had with them is it took two trips to diagnose a rattle (cracked bracket holding inner fender) and also my passenger side window failed about a week after installing the repair kit but to their credit they've been very accomodating about scheduling the actual services. Overall I'd say they're pretty decent - I can imagine a better dealership, but not sure if it exists for VW in the DC area. I don't like Darcars in College Park and I've also heard bad things about the one in Laurel.

FWIW I've only had my car in for warranty stuff three times. Once right after I picked up the car I found that the wrong rear wiper blade had been installed from the factory (was hitting hatch at top of sweep) and twice for the windows. They have warrantied some stuff that I didn't expect them to, as well (I didn't pay for a new belly pan, even though I told the service dude that it got ripped off when a pickup truck dumped some crap on the beltway.) I don't think I've spent a penny there other than purchasing the car and paying for routine service. Well, I did buy some floormats there and some new wiper refills...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to spend a good amount of time trying to find the best deal around. I figure that could take a month or so. But with what you've told me, I can narrow the possibilities down quite a bit. I'll keep the board posted on the developments of this purchase -- I'm sure there will be more than a few interesting stories to tell.

Thanks aga> I'm looking into buying my first VW. I've heard such bad things about

Reply to
Andrew