Desperately need REAL tech advice

95 jetta, w/auto, ABA

After the car warms up, putting it in gear makes the rpms drop to 680 and stay there! Same with air conditioning. You turn on the air and the rpms drop and don't come back up. The thing is, when it's cold the Idle air control works exactly as it should. Only after the water temp passes 72c do the rpms turn to crud. I've run every test I can find and have even come down to that humiliating ritual of swapping parts. The only info I can find in print on this problem is on Alldata. The trans troubleshooting section says if you have this condition that the ECM is bad. I swapped computers with my other 95 Jetta and it displayed the same exact problem. The only thing is, the computer didn't have the exact same code. It was an AA and the one with the problem is an AH. Could it be possible that it's still the computer and I need to get one with the same code? I find it hard to believe that it would have the same problem, PLUS I put the computer from the trouble car into the donor car and it ran normally. Any help is appreciated.

Tim

Reply to
Mr Jones

I'm not familiar w/ your car, but my Fox has 3 valves that adjust idle speed:

-Auxiliary air regulator (which allows extra air to bypass the throttle valve when engine is cold)

-Idle speed boost valve (#1) (which opens when rpm < 740 and closes when rpm

-Idle speed boost valve (#2) (which opens whenever the air is turned on)

Anyway, I just thought you may have something similar. Also, check for vacuum leaks (i.e. leaky hoses).

I'll bet it's a bad boost valve...b/c putting in gear adds a slight load to the engine, and the idle should adjust accordingly to raise rpm; but apparently it's not. I'd guess the reason why the rpm drop when it warm is b/c you have something similar to my Aux Air Reg (which opens when engine is cold)... then when it closes (when engine is warm) you have the problem b/c the boost valve is faulty. Check voltage to boost valve... if when the rpm drop there is voltage, then you have a bad valve; if there is no voltage (or too small... i.e.

Reply to
93 Fox

I appreciate your help. I have a car that has the same system as your fox. Unfortunately the idle boost isn't as simple as the cis-e. The boost comes solely from the computer on this car. No auxiliary air regulator, just an Idle air valve (same principal) that responds to the ECU signal that regulates it's duty cycle. On mine, once the car reaches a certain temp, the computer won't boost the valve. Still trying to figure it out, thanks again.

Tim

Reply to
Mr Jones

">

Actually, it's Digifant II, but it has the same idle boost valves and aux. air valve as Digifant.

Reply to
93 Fox

...I mean "as CIS-E" Anyway, sorry I wasn't of help.

Reply to
93 Fox