Diesel Engine Swap

I Have An 81 Rabbit diesel and a 80 vw pickup with a automatic trans the pick up originaly had a diesel in it and the previous owner swaped it to a gas engine. the 81 rabbit has a diesel in it now with a 5 speed trans, will I be able to just take the flywheel of the gas engine and put it on the diesel. or do the diesels have a heavier fly wheel

Reply to
JoeBeam

Should swap right out. AFAIK, diesels have the same flywheel as the gassers. I did upgrade mine (1.9D engine) to use the 210mm OEM flywheel and the 8V clutch and 16V pressure plate.

Roger Brown

Joe,

Roger is right. I had much the same query several years back, and ended up throwing the transaxle and flywheel out of a gas Rabbit into my '82 diesel pickup with no problems at all. In fact the gearing ratios from my 'new' gas rabbit tranny are much nicer in that I have alot more get up and go. BTW, you can allways take what Roger says to the bank, he's that good.

Reply to
Tim Nugent