Diesel Headache (Old Skool 1500 vs. 1600)

I'm dealing with rebuilding a 1.5D in a 1985 Vw Golf.

Yes I know that it would have came with a 1.6- but the block just has a "D" on it and the wrist pins are 22mm not 24. Making it a 1.5. Looks like who ever had it blew up the 1.6 and got cheap.

The connecting rods are different sizes in the motors as well and that's where my headache comes in.

The only pistons I can find are made for the 24mm wrist pins. So that leaves me with the options:

  1. Remove the crank put in the 1.6 one and use the connecting rods/pistons for the 1.6.

  1. Use the old pistons (which are scored and have marks on them) clean them up the best I can, use new rings and call it it day.

Any one know of resources that supply 1.5 components? I work for a shop and all I can find is 1.6/ 1.9 stuff.

Reply to
Rabbit TDi

Isn't it easier to get a 1.6 and rebuild that? The 1.5's caused a lot of people a headache, even when new... The heads cracked quite easy and the head redesign was one of the reasons why the redesigned the head and made the engine slightly larger.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

If you're willing to ship just the pistons+ connecting rods I'd be happy to buy them. I am looking for decent "serviceable" ones. If they are bad and you have "decent" rodbearings I'll consider buying just those.

I'd sell an upgrade to the 1.6 but the owner just wants me to get this heap running and send it down the road.

I am located in Seattle, WA- Name a price and we'll talk.

Reply to
Rabbit TDi