Disconnecting the speedo...

Does anyone in the group know whether (theoretically) unplugging the speed sensor at the engine (so the car does not clock) affects the engine management anything else on a Bora TDi 1.9 (PD) engine?

Cheers,

Reply to
londonbeat

Does anybody in the group know whether (theoretically,) in a dark alley, blackjacking somebody that clocks cars (so nobody sees) affects others that do the same?

Toodles,

--TW

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

think ur going to have to many miles over your lease?

Reply to
Nauy721

It's my understanding that the car's ECU makes a very clear note of any mileage tampering, including speedo disconnection. In the states, this is a serious felony, punishable by jail time. So, unplugging the speedo will probably stop counting miles on the car, but you can bet that everybody will know it's been done. I would imagine that the warranty on the Bora would also be instantly VOID. Yikes!

TOE

Reply to
TOE

I'm sorry, my post sounded preachy... I didn't mean to be (and I hate it when others post useless preachy stuff). Sorry about that. I just wanted to make you aware of the possible repurcussions of the activity you describe. I'm sure it's quite possible that your post has

*nothing* to do with anything sinister or illegal, just a question. I can't answer your question about effects on the engine management, but surely someone else here can.

TOE

Reply to
TOE

The ECM will flag a DTC saying that the speedo/odometer is not working, this is by design.

A way around this is to open the hood and look at where the tranny bolts up to the engine. At the top/center of the tranny is a bolt in which the head of said bolt has a small post on it with a wire bolted up to it. Cut that wire and that might keep the odometer from working while not flagging the DTC.

Enjoy.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Or find another speedo and use it for the time being. =)

Reply to
Mauricio