Cambelt snapped on a VW PD TDi

As per subject: Cambelt snapped on a VW PD TDi

We currently have a 2002 Ford Galaxy Ghia 1.9 PD TDi (VW Sharan) with a snapped cambelt, snapped 10k before due @ 109k (changed every 40k)

Does anyone know if its possible to do a compression test on these engines? as I know the injectors are under the cams, as we would like to check if it has damaged the values. Autodata specify an interference engine but the clutch was already down when it snapped.

Reply to
A C
.

The fact it was running means it's probably caused some valve damage. And you can't do a conventional compression check via a screw-in guage without the cambelt in one piece to allow you to turn over the engine to generate the compression!

Expect to remove head and inspect damage, and then decide how to proceed.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Do cambelts have warranties, I wonder? If it's well within its expected lifespan as the OP says I'd contact the garage which fitted it. Assuming it was done by a garage, that is.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Yes, it was done by our Local Ford Dealer (Jennings of Middlesbrough)

I've already been down to talk with their service team & they basically said that they would most likely find a worn waterpump or oil contamination & no warranty would be provided for the actual belt.

Reply to
A C

Just took the remains of the old belt of the car.

VW Part #: 038 109 199 N has been replaced by 038 109 199 P which looks like a stronger belt I wonder if the 'N' type belt had failure problems

Photo of the belt:

A C

Something is worn out or bent, hence running off to one side.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Having looked at the picture they could well be right. Does the waterpump pulley wobble at all?

If it does I think I would find a replacement, fit a new belt and try to start it. Or just fit a new belt temporarily to see if it starts. If it does, and runs properly, then you can consider yourself lucky, if not then you haven't spent too much investigating.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

We're going to try a new belt tomorrow & try pressure testing via the glow plugs to try & assess the damage.

Reply to
A C

Bear in mind that you may damage it further.

The only correct course is to take the head off first.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If the pressure test &/or replacement cambelt provides no positive answers then I will be selling it via eBay as its already had a new engine @ 35k (under warranty) when the turbo destroyed itself, the cat & the engine resulting in a £9500 claim for Ford

Personally, its the second time within the last 6yrs I've wasted £26k on a Ford Galaxy Ghia only to have major problems, last one lasted 65k/2yrs before the steptronic auto box clutches failed.

Now what to buy next? VW Touareg V10 TDi? Anyone?

Reply to
A C

True, but in my opinion repairing a car after a snapped belt is often a false economy - when my Rover one went they replaced the engine, when the Nissan one went it cost abour 600 quid to fix a 110k mile sunny. My sister in law's Vectra threw a belt, dealer didn't replace tensioner so it did it again.

Personally, whether this is morally acceptable or not, I'd stick a new belt on then if it works get it valeted and stick it into a dealer as a part ex...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If you need a big seven seater:

XC90, Previa, Grandis, Viano.

If you need a small seven seater:

Coroll Verso.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Something Japanese.

Peter Hill

I don't really need a seven seater, I only occasionally use the rear seats for family trips out, as im always using it to move my stock about.

I suppose the dealer would only throw into an auction anyway due to the mileage & it will be 4yrs old in December.

The X Reg Galaxy I had previously got £8500 on eBay when its was 2yrs old with a complete steptronic gearbox overhaul required, which was £2k more than the dealer offered against this '52' plate one.

I really hate keeping cars after a big repair, as they always seem to start off a chain reaction of big bills making it more economical to buy another new one

Reply to
A C

Dealers have no compunction doing the same. B

--

me

How about a Morris Minor Traveler? B

--

me

It would of cost ford nowhere near that amount. That may of been the full retail cost of the job, but ford wouldn't pay that. I'd guess it would be well under 4k, as ford only pay parts at cost, and the labour rate is fixed for warranty work. You may pay £70+ an hour for work to be done, but ford sets the price they pay dealers for warranty work (and it's a lot less than retail!)

I'm not surprised. The Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra comes bottom of reliability polls for a reason (well numerous reasons actually).

Reply to
M Cuthill

I would like to know the reasons for the Galaxy/Sharan being bottom of the reliability poll if you have them

Reply to
A C

They were the most unreliable vehicles in the poll?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A C ( snipped-for-privacy@abbeycrossSPAM.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :