'doink' sound when turning wheels

Strange problem here...for me at least. If i turn the wheels over a full steering wheel turn, i.e. to park or do a right angle turn, i hear and feel this 'doink' sound. I can't describe, other than saying it sounds and feels like when a door spring is flipped and released. (does that make sense?).

This occurs if i am in park and just turn my wheels. Once this occurs, I have to spin the wheels completely the other way, wait for the corresponding 'doink' as i turn the wheels the converse way, and back again to experience it again.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Reply to
HT

Sorry, forgot to mention, this is on a 2000 VW Golf.

Reply to
HT

Just checked the springs on each of the tires; they are still solid and not broke.

Reply to
HT

It is possible that you will need to replace the strut bearings. I hate to give you the bad news if you do have to replace them. Be prepared for a $300 bill.

Reply to
wja

Why? (Though I don't see a year/model in the original post...). You can get a parts kit for both sides for just over $50 online, and it takes about an hour or so labor to change them.

However, I'd also guess that if the bearings are bad, probably the struts are also toast, and they'll need replacing as well. That's been my experience as well. Then you are looking at more than $300, firgure $185 for parts, and a couple of hours labor.

Update, OK, I see the model and year... I think my comments are still valid. (But I didn't price the parts however...)

How many miles on this car?

Reply to
PeterD

170,000 kms
Reply to
HT

You called it. Strut Bearings. 300 bones.

Reply to
HT

Definate upper strut mount or possible broken spring.

Reply to
Craig