Weird clutch problem on 1976 Rabbit?

Lately my 76 Rabbit has been having a strange clutch problem. When I push the pedal down and start to release it, it feels like the clutch is engaging immediately (the car kind of jerks forward like I released the clutch). But if I continue to let the pedal up it disengages again and then feels normal the rest of the way as the pedal is released.

The clutch doesn't slip at all, there's no "grabbing" or "jerking" as normally happens with a broken spring/warped disk/oiled disk. When it works, it works nice and smooth.

To complicate diagnosis, it doesn't always act this way. I may drive it a few days without any issues, then other days it may act up all day long.

I have about 70K miles on the clutch, and about 15K on the new clutch cable. The clutch cable is properly adjusted, and I have no other clutch problems or symptoms.

I'm not eager to replace the clutch again. Would a throwout bearing cause this?

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

On my Rabbits I had problems with the clutch pedal/brake pedal bracket breaking. Are you aware of that problem and where to look? I think you can see it flexing and failing by looking at the firewall where the clutch cable comes out. Or maybe I looked inside the car where the clutch cable goes out and saw it breaking up. I welded once and just bought a new bracket the second time.

I had a Squareback do weird clutch th>Lately my 76 Rabbit has been having a strange clutch problem. When I push

Reply to
Jim Behning

I thought it was only the A2 models that had the failing pedal bracket? At least I don't recall ever hearing about an A1 model with bad brackets?

It's worth a look I guess.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband