Drive Flange Oil Seals

I'm thinking about replacing both drive flange seals. I've searched the google groups archive and found piles of usefull instructions, but there is one thing I'm not entirely clear on.

Will most of the gear oil drain out when I remove the flange/seal? The cross-section in the Bentley makes it look like there could be a lot of oil sitting there waiting to come out, but the instructions dont mention draining first or filling after.

Other than that, I think I'm ready to make the tool and give it a shot. Wish me luck

Will, 89 Jetta 8v

Reply to
Will

Yeah, a lot of fluid will drain out, but its relativly easy to refill. since the diferential is right behind those seals, and that happens to be where most of the fluid sits, odds are that most of the fluid will drain out.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:45:59 GMT, Will

Reply to
P. Van Hout

Good chance to change the fluid.

"Will"

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yeah it would be a good time to change the fluid, but unfourtunatly, I had the clutch changed a few months ago and got them to put in new synthetic fluid. (which has been slowly dripping out :( )

I guess I have to top it up anyway, Does it matter if I use the same fluid? Should I bother saving whats left? It was CDN$30 a liter.

I don't know what they used other than the part number on the invoice (LM1414 - Syn gear oil 80/90)

Will, 89 Jetta 8v

Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
Will