driveshaft and CV joint

I replaced the driveshaft and CV joint on my rabbit today and I noticed some evidence of some poor quality work that was done in the past. The previous owner did not replace the small flywheel cover (I can see the flywheel thrugh a 1.5 inch or so opening. Also, the previous owner did not replace the drive flange plastic cap. How important are these two items? Craig

----== Highest Retention and Completion Rates!

==----

Reply to
I'm a Movie

I thought the plastic cap in the center of the drive flange was an oil seal. Pretty important. The cover is also important. The cover is not the end of the world except for the mice that crawl in there. VW would not put it on if they could avoid the expense.

Reply to
Jim Behning