Difference between 740 and 760

I have an '88 Turbo. Question is I don't know whether its a 740 or 760. Can someone please tell me what to look for to determine the difference between the two. TIA, Howard

Reply to
H Pine

"H Pine" skrev i meddelandet news:iDVYc.9931$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

740 = 4 cyl 760= 6cyl

Sold that way anyway here in sweden.

Reply to
Johan E

But not in N.A. - the 760 was available here either with the PRV6, or with an intercooled turbo-charged B230.

I think one difference between the 740 and 760 was that the 740 never had Nivomats.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Serial number - In North America 740 starts with "YV1F", 760 starts with "YV1G". (Rest of world, "YV174" and "YV176" respectively.)

Reply to
Mike F

Although at one point the 4/6 digit did indeed point to the difference between a 4 and a 6 cylinder engine, this was clouded by the introduction of a turbo engine in a vehicle with the higher level of trim. Thus, a "760" with a 4 cylinder turbo engine. Inside, the seats of a 760 from that year should be identical to a 740, flat, broad and firm, probably the most comfortable seat ever produced by Volvo, and far superior to the 960's from

1995 on. But they should be power adjustable in a 760.

The best way to tell the difference is from the VIN. Find a website that explains the digits. For example, in the site listed below, they say the fourth digit of the VIN should be F for 740 and G for 760, for the years

1981-1986. Probably true for 1988 too. There should be other sources to check out as well:

Rein Ende Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Rein Ende

I have a 760 (4 cylinder turbo). It has independent rear suspension where the 740 has a live axle. It also has a different dash, I can tell from the dash a 740 from a 760. 1988 was the first year the 760 had the updated dash.

The 760 was the flagship when it was sold, the 740 was a less expensive alternative. The 740 turbo was the performance model.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

I can tell them from the front headlights... The 740's had either those sealed beams or one big wide lense. The 760's have "old 960 style" front lights: thin middle mounted fogs and then big square main headlights... The whole front end looks really narrow IMO on these cars.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Except for mine ! I have a UK '89 740 GL estate. 2 litre B200 engine, and (still working !) Nivomats.

I have _no_ idea how Volvo model numbering worked. Rolling dice I think.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A 760 was really just a fully loaded 740. In the N/A models the 760 had the V6 while the 740 had the 4 cylinder. With the turbos both had the same engine but the 740 had blacked out trim and the 760 had chrome (yuck). 760 also had power seats, power mirrors, power sunroof, automatic climate control and a very slightly more plush interior. Some of that may have been available as options on the 740 though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Other way around.

The 760 V6 was introduced in 82 or 83 (depending on the market), and the

760 Turbo in 84. The 740 was introduced in 85.
Reply to
Alex Zepeda

The middle number indicates the trim level, not the number of cylinders in the engine.

Not necessarily.

-- alex

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

I have an 85 760 turbo. The differences at the time were: 1. There is way more chrome around the windows and the front of the car on a 760, the 740 has very little chrome if any. 2. Mine has (used to have, LOL) Nivomats too expensive to replace. 3. The sunroof was electric on the 760, manual on the

740. 4. I also believe the wheels were different on the two models. The turbo motor was the same in the 2 models. 760 came standard with leather, I think it was optional with the 740. In general, the 740's at the time looked "sportier" the 760's looked more "luxurious" with their chrome.
Reply to
Sandjicpl

If you look at the specs the 700 series was just a 200 series chassis with 700 series sheet metal and trim. Same power plant and transmission.

'90 240

Wheelbase 104.3 Overall Length 189.9 Vehicle Height 56.3 Vehicle Width 67.3   Vehicle Weight 2919 Brakes, Power 4 Wheel Disc Engine, 2.3L 4 Cylinder 114 hp Gas Transmission, 4 Speed Automatic OD Fuel Capacity 15.8

'90 740

Wheelbase 109.1 Overall Length 188.4 Vehicle Height 55.5 Vehicle Width 68.9   Vehicle Weight 2959 Brakes, Power 4 Wheel Disc Engine, 2.3L 4 Cylinder 114 hp Gas Transmission, 4 Speed Automatic OD Fuel Capacity 15.8

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Look at the door handles - the 740 had plain black ones - the 760 had stainless steel strips along the handle.

----== Highest Retention and Completion Rates!

? the Ultimate Newsgroup Place! ==----

Reply to
Ken Hutchison

When did the B20 engine become the B200 ? Which one did the 240 use ? And does anyone know the differences ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Nivomats are cheap ! I used to have a Citroen XM, and I also have an Alfa 164 (the price of shocks for a 164 Cloverleaf is about the same as a good S/H car)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Similar engine and transmissions, but there are differences.

The B23 and B230 turbos were never available with the 200s, none of the 16 valve engines, none of the turbo diesels, etc were available with the 200s either.

Even with the engines that were more or less the same, there were some significant differences (distributor placement, ignition control, etc).

The B20 never became the B200, they are different engines. The B20 is a pushrod motor, the B200 is an OHC motor (it's the basis for the B204FT and such motors as well).

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

The B200 was developed from the B230. The 240 used B200, B21, B20 and B230. The basic differences were cubic capacity and obviously power/torque outputs.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

introduction of

The middle number always indicated the number of cylinders in the engine until the 760 Turbo came along. Other than that one car, most have still followed the old rules. 140 is a 4 cyl, 160 is a 6 cyl, 240 is a 4, 260 is a

6, 740 is a 4, and until the turbo the 760 was a 6. Same applies as far up as the 850 and 960. The Diesel cars though were another series that were "mislabeled".
Reply to
James Sweet