1986 Quantum GL

I have a 1986 Quantum GL Wolfsburg that has ~300,000 miles on it. The automatic transmission failed recently. The engine starts up and runs like a champ and the car is in overall great condition with a perfect interior and very little rust. There are only three problems with the car ---- water leaks into the trunk, the passenger side front electric window doesn't work, and last but certainly not least it only goes in reverse, none of the forward gears work. As I see it my options for this car are

  1. Part it out ---- Do any of you think there would be interest in the parts if I did so?

  1. Install a used transmission. I found one for 0 but I was not sure if this was a good move as I would have no idea of the condition or mileage. This may bring the value of the car up to 0. Anyone have experiences with the use of a junkyard transmission?

  2. Convert the car to diesel with a used engine/transmission. This would bring up the value of the car. Anyone ever done a gas to diesel conversion on a Quantum? How hard is it to do something like this?

----== Highest Retention and Completion Rates!

==----

Reply to
I'm a Movie

fix it or convert it... you will NEVER recover any of the $$$. 21 year old VW that's broken, sell it!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!!!!

Maybe someone with more experience might know the answer to this but it could be that the bodies between the automatics and the stick shifts are different. I know I tried to install a stick shift transmission in an automatic body and I found that the Dasher bodies were different. The automatics had a wider tunnel. Yeah you can get the stick in there but consider the clutch/brake/accelerator pedals too!

I am not sure of the Dashers nor the other inline VW or the Audis.

So before you buy your diesel, and I will assume you are purchasing a stick shift, check it out to see if it can fit! Oh and the purchase of the diesel combo will probably cost you much more than what your Quantum is worth. :-( So I would say you really have two choices..................Fix your automatic or Sell the Quantum. I have found a Quantum 3 dr Coupe/Hatchback 5 speed that the owner is ready to get rid of.

You are invited to join the Passats group on yahoo. Maybe someone there has some info for you. Come on over and bring your post.......the water's fine!

Or, just send an email to " snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com"

Just my $0.02 later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I don't...but it's an unknown. it's used, you don't know untill it's installed how it'll perform, etc.

Another thought...have you had your existing transmission diagnosed for what the exact issue is? Bad valve body? dirty valve body? sometimes a good cleaning of the valve body and fluid change will get one going again, sometimes not. Have you had it diagnosed?

Maybe, but it'll still be a hacked transplant and not an original diesel. And it's a Quantum...not a 401K account. the value of a >20 year old Quantum is only so much...

Reply to
Matt B.