EGR pipe and valve

So dealer says EGR Pipe and valve. $500. Does anybody know a little about what effects this part has.

thanks

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

It might help if you provided just a bit of context. No one here is a mind reader, we haven't a clue what car you are referring to or what dealer you went to or what went wrong with your car. I can say "EGR pipe and valve" too, and I can ask you for $500. Of course I could also say I'm king of the world...

Anyway.... EGR stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". It is a valve that opens up and allows exhaust gas to go back into your intake. It's primarily there to reduce NOx emissions, although it probably helps your HC and CO emissions as well and may reduce your fuel consumption a little. The recycled gas acts as inert particles, slowing down the combustion in your engine. This means that the gas that is recycled is given longer to burn which reduces HC and CO emissions a little if you were running too rich, but primarily it cools off the engine which has a major impact on NOx. Additionally, it means you can run with more ignition advance which should improve fuel economy. Unfortunately, it also adversely affects power output which is why there is a valve. If you hit the throttle hard the EGR is shut off to give you maximum power. A failed EGR valve could lead to increased emissions, worse fuel economy, pinging/detonation, and in some cases poor drivability or reduced performance.

Reply to
nothanks

Well said! Information is power... or it may get an answer for me? So, what year and model VW do he own?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks nothanks, actually I missposted this message it was meant for the toyota trucks group. But you gave me the exact info I needed. Sorry for the incomplete question usually I do give much better info or context. I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive me.

Thanks again,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

Eww, what a feeling.... Toyoduh!!!!

Why not just take if off and clean. That might repair it for a while.

Reply to
Peter Parker