"Anti-Rattle" Springs

Just installed new calipers, pads, rotors on my 90 Jetta GL. The pads came with "anti-rattle" springs (little strips of brass with bent tabs on them). I'm fairly new to VW's, and I've never seen this things before. Seems simple enough, but where the heck to they go?!?

I'd like to intall them, since my pads do rattle when going over RR tracks, etc. without my foot on brake. Can anyone explain to me where they go - or better yet, email a diagram or photo? Thanks!!

Reply to
Scooter

Hi, Good timing for your question. I inspected my brakes tonight as they are running hot. I took the opportunity to take some pictures.I'll email them to you privately.

For a textual description: The ends of each brake pad have slots. These slots straddle the brake pad carrier on the brake caliper body. As the pads and rotor wear, the brake pads can slide inwards. The brass strips sit on the carriers and put a bit of pressure on the brake pads so they can't rattle. The pads also slide along the brass strips as the pads and rotor wear.

The brass strips go on the front of the carrier (facing forward). You'll notice the brasss strips are not identical. The one that goes on the top brake pad carrier will have the tab inboard of centre and facing downwards. The one that goes on the bottom has the tab also inboard of centre with the tab facing upwards. The ends of the anti-rattle springs wrap/fit around the ends of the brake pad carrier. When the caliper body is put back on, the little tabs rest against the caliper body. For clarity, the long dimension of the brass strips is horizontal when installed and the flat surface is vertical. The way the ends of the springs are bent, and if you remember the tab on the top faces downwards and the tab on the bottom faces upwards, the brass strips can only go on one way. Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Reply to
tonyw

I've seen these on many cars before. And yes they'll solve your problem. Shoulda had them all along but they either weren't installed at some point or were installed wrong and fell off.

Reply to
Matt B.

Doesn't look like my pictures made it to you. I'm getting this error message:

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

snipped-for-privacy@ticon.net (I used your full email address, just disguised it here)

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure: TEMP_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 450 sorry, mailbox currently unavailable (#4.2.1)

Reply to
tonyw

Could be that the file size for your pictures are just too large for emailing. Generally, as email attachments, they should total less than 1 MB. If that is the problem, do a "RESIZE PICTURES" of each photo to get each of the photos down into the 30 to 80 KB range. The pictures will look just as good, and you will be able to send a bunch of them in a single email without reaching the 1 MB limit..

The "RESIZE PICTURES" function is available under Windows XP. Just go to the folder where the picture is stored, right click on a picture, then click the "RESIZE PICTURES" and choose "medium" or "small". Your old {large file) picture will not be altered, but a new copy of the picture will be created and will contain the word "medium" or "small" in the file name. Those pictures will be a heck of a lot smaller in file size, appropriate for emailing as attachments.

If this is not the problem, maybe my post will help someone else - hopefully.

Regards.

Reply to
Papa

Thanks for the tip. Checked the image file sizes, they're 61 and 74 kb in size. Seems the original poster's mail box doesn't exist. Oh well.

-Tony

Reply to
tonyw