Engine coolant light

Hello, I have a Volkswagen Jetta (about 3 years old, 36k miles) and the engine collant warning light comes on every morning (it's standing on a flat driveway) - when I drive a couple minutes and restart the car the light is off. The coolant level is over the minimum level (I got it refilled) but still the problem didn't go away.

Any ideas? Can it be dangerous for the engine like the handbook suggests? Thanks! Peter

Reply to
Peter

Note: the overflow tank where you normally see the low-full indication is not the same as the radiator. You may not have the radiator full.

I don't know your Jetta that well, but if it has a radiator cap, wait until the car is cool and carefully remove the cap. Is it full? If not fill it. Normally if the radiator is not full it will suck coolant from the overflow a little at each warm-cool cycle until it is full, but that does not always seem to be the case.

I also don't know what the "coolant" light means in your car. Check your owner's manual to make sure the light you are seeing is indicating low coolant and not cold coolant or such.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I handled a Passat similar to your problem and it was the sensor in the bottle. Actually the sensor was the bottle, or molded in the bottle so they were one component! lol

The Passat coolant light would come on at anytime though, so it may have been a different solution than yours.

dave