exorcism?

A friend of mine gave me an 87 Fox after his wife mistakenly thought the car in front of her was going to run a red light . To make a long story short , I found a pass fender & hood plus assorted plastic bits at my local wecking yard for $50 and after a few hours of pulling , pushing and hammering , got everything to fit good enough . The car drives great ........ But ....... The speedo reads like it's going metric ( it's NOT metric ) . You have to run 100+ indicated to keep up on the freeway . The odometer is close to right for MILES traveled . More often than not the oil pressure light doesn't go out ( blinks) , then the temp and fuel gauge readings sort of go away . I'm confident that it has oil pressure as I have been driving it like a Hungarian violin for some time now with no ill effects . Anyone here experienced these symptoms ? Will

Reply to
Will Paramore

The speedo could be bad OR just the cable; does the speedo needle jump around like crazy? If so, replace the cable. Could be the needle is not aligned right (i.e. if someone messed around w/ it before you) For the other stuff, replace the voltage regulator on the gauge cluster (it's a little IC, 1cm2 w/ 3 wire terminals, that can be gotten from a junkyard Fox). This should fix your oil light and gauge readings. If not, you can replace the whole cluster (get one from a yard, and swap in your speedometer (if you determine it works)).

BTW, if you plan on keeping the Fox, get a bentley manual. And come visit the vwvortex.com and check out the Fox forum... lot's of good stuff there.

Reply to
93 Fox