Frustrated with check engine light. Help!

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me out.

I have a 1998 Jetta GT (2.0) with 76k km. The check engine light comes on periodically and then goes off after a few days. When sitting at a stop light or when the engine is at idle, the RPM's sometimes drop about 200RPM's and then go up to 1000RPM's and then settle down to where it should be. I had the computer scanned at the local garage and it came up with the fault code 16556 "Fuel Trim Bank 1 System Too Rich". The garage ended up checking the cap, rotor, plug wires and ended up changing the plugs (plugs needed to be done anyway) but it is still chugging at idle sometimes. Does anyone have any idea what the real reason for the fault code is??

As always, any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to group or directly to tevendaleATsympatico.ca (replace AT with @)

Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom

Could be an oxygen sensor...my Jetta did something similar....

Reply to
Pete Cressman

This doesn't answer your question, I know, but just as a general thing, it seems to me that people get a little too upset about the "Check Engine" lights on cars in general -- I used to, but don't anymore. My '01 Jetta's light seems to have a hair trigger. Any ignition misfire sets it off, any minor cough or stumble when the engine's cold, but the light goes off again after a day or two. Took it in for the State emissions check recently, and because they do the test with the gas cap off, that triggered the light. Went off the next day. Similarly, if you don't tighten the gas cap enough, the light comes on. The light comes on in my other vehicle, too, and then goes off again a couple days later. I don't sweat it any more -- if the engine's running fine, if it's got coolant and oil, if it's not overheating, there's oil pressure and the battery's charging, then ignore the light for a couple of days and all will be well with the world once again. I notice that a lot of the "I Hate VW" posts that appear here revolve around the "Check Engine" light -- take a deep breath, relax, there's probably nothing wrong at all in most cases.

Reply to
Brian Running

If it was running great I wouldn't mind about the light being on. It doesn't run right and the gas mileage is not as good as it was. It happens quite frequently and it's not the gas cap. There is the fault code of 16556 "Fuel Trim Bank 1 System Too Rich".

Tom

overheating,

Reply to
Tom

Fuel pressure to high, air intake restriction, MAF, maybe a O2 but don't think so.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The code you getting is most likely for your o2 sensor on bank one which is the drivers side o2 sensor. The purpose of the oxygen sensor is to measure from exaust gases and to send a signal to the ecm (computer) and process the info to the injection system to add more fuel or less fuel. When its running too rich the signal sent is that your engine is too cold and it needs more fuel thus dumping in more fuel that it needs to warm it up but your engines not burning it and causing a rich running condition. picture the motion of a fuel gauge empty = lean and rich = full. when the sensor fails its pins the signal either to lean or to rich (which is more common). since the sensor is essentially stuck in one function it no longer fluctuates the signal and the computer registers the "check engine" light to notify you. the bank one is the location for the sensor failure. bank

2 would be passenger side of the exaust.

Hope that helps Tristen

86 golf (pepi) 88 westfalis (bogart)

Reply to
Tristen S

I didn't know a 2.0 engine has more than 1 bank of cylinders? Please explain?

Reply to
Woodchuck

I should have been clearer, Tom -- my post wasn't meant as a response to your post, it was just a general observation -- your post was just the opportunity to make it. Can't help you with your problem.

Reply to
Brian Running

Sorry Woodchuk My Bad, Had vr6 on my mind and a bottle of vino in my system, i'm a dumbass. Anyway I agree there may be a possible air intake restriction. Tom should check the Air filter first possibly plugged can also trigger that code.

Good luck

Tristen

Reply to
Tristen S

No harm done, we all learn from time to time. I even screw up once in awhile.

appreciated.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I have checked the air filter and everything is fine there. Do you think that it could be an O2 sensor?. I received an e-mail from another VW lover (Kathy if you are reading this I'll get back to you as soon as I can get into my home computer) who indicated that she has a GTI that had similar problems and it turned out to be an O2 sensor. She also indicated that there are two of them and that they both should be changed at the same time. Does anybody have any thoughts or opinions?

As usual, thanks in advance.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi Woodchuck,

Perhaps you could comment on the e-mail that was sent to me regarding my check engine light. It would appear that she had the same problem as I did and it turned out to be two O2 sensors.

Tom Ottawa Canada tevendaleAT sympatico.ca

Reply to
Tom

Well Tom After a day of waiting it appears as though Woodchuk has lost interest in this...LOL I was awaiting a response myself (to see the expert/semi expert opinion). If your really not sure I'm still leaning toward the O2 sensors but it can be an expensive guess. For the 1/2 hour labour cost at the dealer, in my opinion , its money well spent and worst case you save youself hours of agony... tons in fuel costs... and if your still limber after all that, you can still choose to source out cheaper parts yourself and do the job.

Just another opinion

Tristen

Reply to
Tristen S