FS: 1986 Jetta GLI (Maryland)

Okay here's the deal, my 86 Jetta has been sitting in my parents driveway for a while and the time has come to get rid of it, so here's the description:

1986 Jetta GLi, silver colored exterior, black interior. Body is in fair shape, not horrible, no major rust, but certainly not pristine. It could probably be cleaned up fairly well. Its equipped with a manual sunroof and European headlights (they look stock, but the beam pattern is much better). The headlights are real German ones made of glass and they are relayed so you can put any wattage bulb in them you want.

Engine: Its an ABA/RD hybrid with a Hor 270 camshaft. ABA block has about

80k miles on it, the head was rebuilt maybe 40k miles ago. It's still running stock CIS-E injection and ignition (although I have a 16V ignition computer in there). The engine runs very strong, burns little oil, puts out very little emissions, and actually gets good mileage (31+ on the highway). This engine is competitive with a 2L 16V, but is cheaper to operate (better mileage and cheaper parts, not to mention easier to work on and less fear of the timing belt)

Transmission: Short-ratio 9A transmission with a bolt kit so there is no self-machining problem. It's got a 16V pressure plate for extra clutch grip (probably about 20k miles on the clutch) and a weighted shifter for smoother shifts. It's running Red Line MTL gear oil.

Suspension: H&R progressive rate "Sport" lowering springs (1-1.5" drop) with Bilstein Sport dampers all around. VR6 strut bearings up front. I also have a set of graphite impregnated polyeurethane control arm bushings laying around somewhere I'll throw in (no squeaking). I think there is also a polyeurethane steering rack bushing for more positive steering response.

Brakes: 280mm Corrado G60 brakes up front and A3 GTI VR6 brakes in the rear fed by a 22mm master cylinder, about the ideal setup for an A2 VW.

Exhaust: Corrado G60 exhaust manifold and downpipe (virtually identical to the stock dual exhaust), with a high flow cat and a Techtonics Tuning catback exhaust (possibly with chain hangers)

Wheels + Tires: Corrado G60 wheels up front (neccessarily to clear the brakes) and stocks in the back. (I have the rest of both sets and will happily include them with the car, but the tires on the wheels that aren't on the car aren't very good). The tires on the car are okay. (For some bizarre reason a previous owner of the G60 wheels decided to spray paint the hubcaps "red", although it looks more like a dull burnt orange to me, nothing some silver spray paint couldn't fix though).

Whats wrong: After installing the Corrado brakes, the brake pedal felt weird, almost going to the floor before the brakes kicked in and then boy did they ever kick in. So I decided the master cylinder was inadequate or defective (it wasn't that great even before the new brakes). After replacing the master cylinder I could never get the brakes to work properly. It might just be a bad master cylinder or it may need better bleeding technique. The pedal just seems to go to the floor although I'm not leaking fluid. So the car just sat. The interior has since gotten somewhat moldy. The car was experiencing headliner issues even before this happened. There are tons of minor little things, all of which I'm sure I've forgotten, the main things are the brakes and the mold (probably a good spraying of Lysol would do wonders). The battery is probably dead too.

Anyway, my parents have decided they are sick of it (and thats probably not worded strongly enough) sitting in their driveway and I have four cars and just don't want to deal with it anymore. So I'd like to find it a good new home to restore it to what it could be. This should go without saying, but in case someone missed it: This is a *PROJECT* car, and will need to be towed. Someone please make me an offer on it. I've put a lot of time into this car and I'd really hate to see it go to a junkyard. The car is located near Baltimore, MD.

Please contact me at djmeyer at edu:umd:glue (reverse the order to email me, or write back in the newsgroup)

dan

Reply to
dan