Fuel pump relay?

Does anyone have a schematic or good written explanation of how a VW fuel pump relay works? I understand that it comes on with ignition power, times out, then comes back on when it somehow senses the engine is running (ignition pulses?) I am toying with the idea of retrofitting an electric fuel pump to an older carbureted car and I like the idea of using ignition to sense that the car is running rather than have it run all the time when the ignition switch is on.

couple questions:

- is the FPR a self contained unit, i.e. a complete control for the fuel pump requiring only that the correct wires be hooked up in the correct places?

- how much amperage is it safe to draw through the FPR? i.e. at what point should I consider adding another relay to keep the FPR from burning out? I know they are problematic even in stock VW apps.

- not having a VW handy to look at anymore, is the socket a standard Bosch relay socket, or would I have to cut up a VW fuse box?

thanks!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

NAte,

my 85 vert has a bosche relay that plugs into the fuseblock. i pull it when i need to disable car from thieves ( i don't drive it during the winter)

Thats about all i know. On my blazer the fpr is also a bosche type relay in the engine firewall. It senses oil pressure , no pressure then it kills the pump.

vwtopdown

check this out nate

Reply to
vwtopdown

Perfect! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I had

*most* of it figured out from my old Wabbit Bentley; but I have to admit I'm far more used to looking at American wiring diagrams than German.

Only question remaining is, how much current can I pump through there? Could I run a Holley type pump directly off its output, or would it be a good idea to throw another relay in there like a fog light relay to take the load off?

nate

Reply to
N8N

It's i believe a 15 amp relay. thats about the best i know

m 05 trek fuel 85 cabriolet 94 chevy s10 blazer 94 Toyota pickup
Reply to
vwtopdown

that's helpful... so if I have a pump that draws 6 amps I am good but if I have one that draws 12-13 then I might have a problem

thanks again

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

you could always use the VW relay to operate a higher amp rated relay.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck