Which fuel pump relay?

I am putting an electric fuel pump into an older car & want to use a fuel pump relay that will sense when the engine quits and shut off the pump. I know that with early fuel injection systems, many vehicles had this type of relay.

I also want to use a relay for which I can get a corresponding socket, and I know that many Volvos had the fuel pump relay in a socket under the dash, so that has led me in the direction of a Volvo as the donor vehicle.

Looking on ebay, I see a number of different Volvo fuel pump relays. My suspicion is that, if any, only the early relays will have the built-in electronics to run the pump when the key is first turned on, and to keep the relay energized as long as pulses are sensed from the ignition. Anybody know whether that is the case, and if so, which relay I should look for?

Thx Scott Kelley

Reply to
Scott Kelley

My old -86 240 with the mecanical CI-system had the relay your looking for. So my guess is to find an older car with the CI. Probably mid 70's to mid-80's. In Europe the CI system hanged on to the introduction of the catalytic converter in late-88. But AFAIK the US spec cars got the electronic fuel injection much earlier; someone here can probably clear this out.

If I remember correct, the relay was blue or green in color, with 6 electric connectors aranged in 2 rows like this: _ _ _ _ _ _

Good luck.

Per Mathisen

-88 780 w/SBC 350 TPI

"Scott Kelley" skrev i melding news:uqydnR8Vnsu3iZnbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net...

Reply to
Per Mathisen

From the 1978 model year the cars with K-Jetronic injection had this relay. The last K-Jet 240 was 1982 in the US, and 1983 in Canada (the

760 GLE used this relay up to 1986, but not mounted on the end of an easy to cut harness). You can recognize K-Jet cars by the injectors that don't have any electrical connections to them.
Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
Scott Kelley