Fuel starvation on hard turns? (95 Golf 2.0)

Several times my 95 Golf has sputtered on acceleration (and then recovered) following hard turns (like 90 degrees) when the fuel guage was reading 1/4 tank or less. I'm assuming that was due to fuel starvation. I've had the car for 3 1/2 years and started about 8 months ago. It has only happened three times, though. So the question is...has anyone else with an A3 notcied this (ie is it normal?) or is there a problem in the tank (broken baffle, dying transfer pump, etc). The car has 93K miles on it and runs fine otherwise. The main fuel pump doesn't seem to be making excessive noise.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin
1- 95 Golf(USA) doesn't have a transfer pump. You got only one pump and it's in the tank. 2-how hard of a turn? 3-rare but I have seen the pump come loose from it's mounting. 4- is fuel tank push inward from bottom? I have seen tire shops jack the car up via the fuel tank. 5-could just be the fuel getting tossed away from the fuel pump-see #2

Reply to
Woodchuck

Sputtering in turns, specially right turns, is a symptom of a dying fuel pump. (In this car it is only one in-tank pump) Considering the year of the car, this is highly possible if it is the original pump. It has a rubber part wich wears out, making it looser than it should. You can check it out: Remove spare, you'll se a lid. Beneath it is the fuel pump. Remove it CAREFULLY (The fuel level sender is attached!!). Look for worn or broken rubber.. A sort of boot.

There's no fixing - just replacing.

Robert Santiago, Chile.

Reply to
ghinghis

Glad to hear that.

Pretty hard. If I recall, twice it happened when turning on to entrance ramps to high speed highways, ie, the kind where it's fun floor it and zoom up the ramp.

I'll check. But no one has jacked the car up other than me since Nov

1999 when I bought it.

OK, thanks Woodchuck. I guess if it gets any worse I'll take a peek inside the tank. I was going to do that anyway because the fuel guage has been flaky for the past couple years (reads fine from 3/4 to full or

1/4 or less but all over the place in between). However, the guage has been fine for the last six months.
Reply to
William Maslin