Gas miles per gallon

I have a 1984 Rabbit convertible and currently getting 24 MPG is this normal for that year and a 1.8 engine? I also have a 1983 rabbit with a 1.7 that gets 33MPG.

TY for your anticipated responses

Reply to
Michael

Depends on how the car is driven, but 24 MPG may be a bit low for a typical combination of routine city/highway driving. Then again, perhaps aggressive driving with the lid off will get you down in the mid 20's. I typically get somewhere in the low 30's with my GTI with a combination of city/highway driving.

Reply to
Kent

I have a 89 rabbit, which drives about 7 KM on 1 litre :-p

Ofcourse this is in europe, so we use litres and KM

hope someone is kind enough to put this into MPG :)

Greetings!

-= Roy =-

Reply to
-= Roy =-
7 kpl = 16.5 mpg (US). Seems low to me.
Reply to
Kent

true true.........but that's probably due to the fact that I tuned my 1.8 i engine to about 140 HP :-p

With my previous engine (1.8 inj, engine code 92HP JH) I could drive about

11.5 km on a litre of gasoline.

Roy

Reply to
-= Roy =-

Do you get better gas mileage with gallons or liters?

Reply to
Rufus McPiddlegump

I don't have a clue about what you just said. I live in the Netherlands and we use KM per litre, so my mileage is 1 litre of gasoline every 7 KM

Kent recalculated that into MPG and that is 16.5 miles per gallon.

The mileage is the same, only the measurement units are different....

Roy

Reply to
-= Roy =-

Nobody does.

I checked Kent's math, and on my second try, I agree with Kent. :-)

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Most people in the world get better milage where you can buy it in gallons even if it does cost too much here but in Europe they sell it by the liters and its even more expensive.

Reply to
Strudelsmith

Hmmm...Rufus and Strudelsmith may want to consider drinking beer by the liter rather than the gallon. ; )

Reply to
Kent

The only thing I saw that made sense was that the gasoline price indeed is quite a bit higher over here... I pay about 60 euro at the gas station eacht time, and 1 litre costs 1.25 euro :'(

A full tank of gasoline gets me about 350 km far......

Roy

Reply to
-= Roy =-

I'd be out 120 euro a week then? What's that like ~200 Canadian or something?

I pay $35cnd a week for ~700km with my diesel

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I'm up to driving about 400 KM each week. Unfortunaly I'm still a student so I have to take the bus once in a while :-p

The EURO - CAD are almost equal to each other :D

So 60 EUR is 60.45 CAD

Roy

Reply to
-= Roy =-

Let's see, at the current exchange rate, 1.25 EUR = 1.55 USD. You pay 5.87 USD per gallon (US). Highest price for premium here in the States is less than half that, or 2.70 USD per gallon (US) in Lake Tahoe, CA.

Reply to
Kent

Seems kind of rediculous. Especially when you take into consideration that my mileage is 16.5 mpg :p

maybe moving to the US isn't such a bad thing after all :-D

Roy

--

1989 VW Rabbit GTI 8V 140HP 100.040 miles :-)
Reply to

Not even close:

120.00 Euros = 186.301 Canadian Dollars

Phreddy

Reply to
Phreddy Phlintstone

"Phreddy Phlintstone" wrote

True true, I checked a different bank and i got out that 100 euro is about

166 CAD

-= Roy =-

Reply to
-= Roy =-

Reply to
Rob Guenther

About $1.20 IIRC.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I remember, though, when the ratio was more like 4:1 (i.e. about $1/gal in the US, vs. more than $1/liter in Europe).

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith