Gas vs. Diesel ???

This is also true of the 1.8T and the V6. I would imagine it is also true of the VR6, though perhaps not the 2.0L 8V.

This is also equally true for other VW engines. Many (if not most) gas engines are interference designs these days.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Depends you compare with what?

I don't see the point of a diesel when comparing a 16500$CAD Corolla with a

23000$CAD Golf Tdi. It just doesn't make sense, financially.
Reply to
Saintor

BTW, in Florida lately the Diesel is running $0.25-30 less than the cheap gas if I shop around. Which is easy when you only fill every few weeks.

Reply to
Jaime

If you buy a diesel new, it will take a long time, if ever to make up the cost of a cheaper car, like a honda. however there is more to it. ask alot of new diesel owners why they did it. they have plenty of power (if you chip it and do a few other small thing, they are pretty fast little cars). they have great interier. the problem I found with gas cars that get 30+ mpg, is to get that you need to baby the thing. the nice thing about the tdi's is, if you beat on it in town and on the highway you will still get 40+. but if it comes down to cost, get a used diesel, and you can get you return faster.

Dan From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
admin

With the number of horror stories I hear about the quick change places, I wound not feel very safe about going there for an oil change. I would worry a little about having them clean my windows.

The problem is they hare given a number of minutes to make the change and they tend to rush the job and that increases the number of errors and shortcuts that happen.

I do mine myself. It is easier than driving down to the quick change place.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Most gas engines with belts are not interference. Some Honda engines are, but most others are not interference.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

It does not matter, if the point is to have cheapest ride possible, given a certain level of quality.

Reply to
Saintor

Get with the thread will you please?

This thread is about "VW diesels vs. VW Gas models "

Not about Corollas...

Reply to
Biz

I'm in Toronto, and I've never filled up for more that 72.9 (which occurred just last week).

I don't much care how gas prices go as long as diesel prices stay low. :> Though I would prefer that raw crude also was low since things like fertilizer for a lot of food production comes from oil.

Personally I don't see oil coming down in price ever again. We may have plenty of reserves, but a lot of 'experts' are saying that production has peaked.

Reply to
David Magda

I don't think so. In any case here is a list of interference engines with belts. 18 pages with just about every make listed

Joseph Meehan

||> Diesel hit 80 cents (Canadian) per litre in southern Ontario just ||> before the Iraq invasion in 2003. That was the highest I've seen ||> locally in 25 years of diesel driving... || ||I'm in Toronto, and I've never filled up for more that 72.9 (which ||occurred just last week).

What we need here is a litres/gallons/$Can/$US converter so we can make sense of theis :) Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

What for? I paid 0.92EUR per litre diesel here [tm] just yesterday. :-O

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

(l/100km) times (mpg) equals ~253.2. (US gallons, that is.)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Toyota doesn't make a small diesel (in North America at least), the thread isn't about Toyota being cheaper/more expensive then VW...

Reply to
Rob Guenther

At least there's only one type of litre. With gallons you have to worry whether it's U.S. or imperial.

Reply to
David Magda

Well, *you* do. I ain't never done seen no Im-peeeeerial gallon. ;-P

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Did anyone reply to the posters original question which is below or did everyone just complain about the prices of gas and diesel? The reason I ask is the thread is now like 37 messages long and I am sick of people bitching about the price of gas!!

Reply to
AlanH70

It was answered in his 7th grade math class. If a train leaves Boston going 50 miles per hour and another train leaves Sacramento at 30 miles per hour when will they meet on that 3000 mile track. Also answered in 2004 post in the past week.

Summary is maintenace is close enough to be a wash. Timing belts at

100,000 miles. Oil changes at 10,000 miles for all engines except 1.8t and 2.8L V6 which change at 5,000 miles.

(Miles driven per year/mpg)*fuel cost. Gas result m>Did anyone reply to the posters original question which is below or did

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

What about the time value of money and inflation? ;-)

Reply to
TF