Diesel Liberty

Any experience with the diesel version? What's the mileage really like? The consumer reports say not enough data. It's been around for a while in Europe though so I'm also wondering what the life expectancy is.

Thanks!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Perrin

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Mine's a 2.5 CRD and I get just over 30mpg average.

Can't say much more than that, except that in die-hard Land Rover Country there are quite a few around. Mine's a 2002 model but it only has 24,000 on the clock so feels like new still, so cannot comment on longevity, but I can't see any reason why it would be any worse than other Jeeps.

Ewan Scott

Reply to
Ewan Scott

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Scary part is, the EURO4/EURO5 standard Diesels, when tuned and running properly, are cleaner than a well-tuned petrol engine.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Reply to
eric

Close, fortunately I live in a more rural area and most of the soot producing mills have closed down and all the mines have closed.

But there are still a hell of a lot of soot coloured buildings and I often wish I was back home in Scotland :-)

I tend not to do the flag waving thing ;-)

Ewan Scott

Reply to
Ewan Scott

I don't know what the diesels get but my 05 Libby was getting 16.4 avg, running mid grade when I traded it in. Only trouble I had with it (a WHOLE 9k miles) was the cd player.

It's a nice little rig so long as you're SURE it's what you want. (that there my friend was the voice of experience you just heard)

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon

: >Thanks! : >

: >Mark

Reply to
Kate

Kate,

That's not what you were saying when you first bought it. You were very defensive, about how it was a "real" Jeep, etc.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

This discussion has nothing to do with emissions or economy. It is all politics. In that case, anyone's opinion is as good as anyone else's.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

So what? The only way to clean NO2 and CO from gasoline engine exhaust is to use a catalyst in the exhaust flow.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

My CJ7 gets 589 NO2 and 0.11% CO with no catalytic converter in the stream....

Mike

Mike Romain

Again I ask so what? Both engines need some kind of emissions equipment, so what if they are different?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

We don't need to wave a flag, everyone knows we're British ! Well, Scottish in my case also. I'm an Edinburgh lad.

Dave Milne

Man, that picture gave me a little "chub". You ought to see the smoke roll out the stacks on my '88 Western Star, (425 Cat, No mufflers, 15spd RR) Not quite as thick as that Dodge, but still a sight to see.

Spdloader

I'm not condoning pollution, by the way.

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Just over 380 tons this week, of #57 Stone...60 gallons a day, at $2.69 per gallon.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Fair call Bill.

Not disputing your knowledge on the subject - just going by the reasoning we've been given to migrate to Diesel here in the 'land down under', particularly, Western Australia.

Reply to
Jason Backshall