Golf 1989 Heating Problem

Hi,

I've just bought the above and noticed a weird problem with the heating.

When switching on the car from cold, it blows lovely warm air...bliss on these particularly cold nights we are having here in the UK...!

After a while, once the engine has heated up, the air blows cold...argh...! It's so annoying.

I've only had the car just over a week but already it's completely bugging me.

The temperature gauge on the dash reads fine (i.e. after about 20 minutes of driving the gauge shows "normal" - straight up), so I presume it's not a thermostat problem...?

I've looked at other posts on here, and some symptoms are similar, but not quite so thought I would start another thread (hopefully this is ok...!?).

Any help would be great...I would like to tackle this myself as I am currently sat at home with not much to do (loathe to take it to someone else to be ripped off...usual story...).

Cheers everyone.

Pete.

Reply to
peyles

Have you checked the coolant level? I know it's simple but I found that I was having heating problems and it was just that the coolant was way to low.

20 mins seems like a long time to come up to temp. Perhaps you're thermostat is stuck open. Have you emailed VW with your VIN to find out if there are any recalls outstanding on your vehicle. I recently had about $2500 Canadian in free work done on my 15 year old Toyota truck just because I took the two seconds to email them with my VIN. Good luck with your car anyways.

-Dru

I just looked outside and realised I have 3 golfs and a Westy sitting in my yard, do I have a problem or is this normal?

Reply to
DruG

Reply to
none2u

If you mean the radiator coolant level, then yes, I've checked this...it was pretty low when I bought the car but it was one of the first things I sorted out (as have had bad experiences in the past with radiators...!).

As I'm not particularly "car" minded, I'm not sure what you mean by thermostat "stuck open"...?! How do I check this...? Any help would be great :-)

I looked on the VW website and couldn't find anything on there about recalls or what to do in the situation...anybody know of where to find this out...?

Thanks for the replies...!

Pete.

DruG wrote:

Reply to