Golf 96 8v 1.8SE cambelt change.. due? Oil recommendations?

I'm at about 55,000 miles. Is this about the time to have the timing belt replaced? Also would you recommend I get the oil changed from the bog standard stuff to a synthetic or hybrid, or will it make no difference for this 8v? TIA

Great car btw!!

Reply to
Paul Dormer

Yes I would do the belt soon. As for going synthetic, why? It's been running so well with old dino oil so why change especially if you do oil changes every 3,000 or so miles.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The biggest advantage of synthetic oil in my opinion is longer change intervals. Porsche for example says 15,000Miles or once per year... unless changed from 2000.

Reply to
Woodchuck