Re: 92 Jetta - Won't start after long hot drives

By the time this message hits the servers, you'll likely have 4 or 5 similar responses. Let me guess, you have an automatic, right? It's called "heat soak" on the starter and a new one will make the problem go away. Pretty common on the A2 auto tranny. Good luck.

TOE

About 6 months ago I bought a 92 Jetta. > During the winter I didn't have much problems (other then a blinking > temperature light, which after about 3 visits to the mechanics was finally > fixed). > > Now that it's hot out, I have been stranded about 4 or 5 times. The car > doesn't seem to get overly hot (the temperature gage goes only slightly > beyond the 2nd marker) but after a long hot drive (25 minutes at over 80 > kph) once I shut the car off, it won't start up again for at least 40 > minutes. The engine does not turn over. It seems almost like some sort of > safety design. > > I remember a friend's jetta the fan would run for a long time after he drove > it, but it does not do that in mine. > > My mechanic can't find anything and it's hard to diagnose as it only happens > after long drives.
Reply to
TOE

Yeah it's the starter getting too hot, unlike stardards it is under the intake manifold and gets to hot after driving, it has happened to me twice. I usually throw a boost on it and it will start.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Yep that's it! The fix to try first is make sure the heatshield is on the starter and also install a relay to boost voltage to the solenoid. Let me know as I can provide directions for ya..

Reply to
Woodchuck

Woodchuck, I'd like to know more about this relay booster. Can you guide me through? Thanks.

Reply to
fpharryc

Woodchuck, post it so we can all have a look, I want to get rid of the problem for good.

Thanks

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Here it is and if it's hard to understand I can make a scan picture and post it somewhere.

1-get a VW 4 prong relay which is used for the horns, load reduction, or other items. Any good VW parts guy will know which relay works but it must have a amp rating of 40amps.

Relay terminal connections

1- Terminal 30 connect to battery (+) Use 10gauge wire 2- Terminal 87 goes to the heavy red/black wire going to the starter. There should be a connector which might be yellow near your coil Use 10gauge wire

3- Terminal 86 goes to the connector near the coil going toward the inside the car. Use 14gauge wire

4- Terminal 85 goes to ground Use 14gauge wire

Basically what this does is when you turn the key to start the voltage turns on the relay only. Then the relay supplies a higher battery voltage directly to the starter solenoid. ON older cars the voltage increase can be as much as 2 volts.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Woodchuck - you rule! Thanks for posting this info as I'm sure that

*tons* of us could use it right away. This is great & thanks again!

TOE

Reply to
TOE