Golf Bearing shell query

Hi

I am the process of rebuilding the engine on my golf.I mistakenly ordered big end bearings with oil hole from GSF part number 16195. On removing my shells they do not have an oil hole.I have been told it is ok to use these shells in place of the plain ones.Has anybody come across this before?If it helps my current shells are marked 026701B.

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
Gti8valve

you mean rod bearings? AFAIK the Corrado G60 (which used the oil hole) and a contemporary Golf 4-cyl. bearings were essentially the samw with the exception of the oil hole. The G60 apparently had drilled rods for wristpin lube/piston cooling while the regular engines did not.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Hi

yes I mean rod bearings

Reply to
Gti8valve

Think it through. The oil hole is located off the centerline of the rod, far from the most-stressed zones. As such the hole has zero real effect on the surface area of the most important parts of the bearing. (Even taken as a percentage of the surface area, which would be worst-case, it's still very small.)

A tiny amount of oil (relatively speaking) will go through the hole and "lubricate" the wrong side of the bearing. But the surface area of the hole will be largely blocked by the rod, not to mention held firmly against it by the bearing crush. So the net effect on oil pressure will be zero, or the next best thing, unmeasurably small.

If the bearings are otherwise made of the correct materials and built to the correct dimensions, I'd use them without even thinking about it.

And to dispel a common misunderstanding: The holes put in the bearing shells and rods have nothing to do with lubrication. *Plenty* of oil is slung off the crankshaft already. They are there to spray oil on the underside of the pistons to keep them cooler.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanical engineer or anything like that. So this advice is worth what you paid for it. It's your engine and your risk to evaluate.

JRE

Reply to
JRE

If the bearings are dimensionally the same. The only possible thing I could see wrong, is in theory after the bearings are worn out , and get a gap in them. like 100-200,000 miles . the oil on the backside may make it easier to spin the bearing in the rod. But I never heard of anyone spinning VW rod bearings. I'm no engineer either.

Reply to
none2u

Hi Guys

Thanks for your responses.I have since found some else on another forum that had the same issue and has fitted bearings with an oil hole in place of plain bearings.So I will proceed.

Matt

Reply to
Gti8valve

Most vw engines have jets located in the engine block, which spray oil onto the undersite of the pistons. I believe the hole is for lubrication of the wrist pin.

SFC

Reply to
SFC