Golf jerking resolution??

Hi I am having problems with my golf, where it randomly keeps jerking, will lose speed and then jerk again and pick its speed back up. I took the car down to the local volkswagen garage and they ran a diagnostic check and picked up the following faults:

1) starter motor needs replacing 2) Exhaust needs replacing 3) Throttle body needs replacing 4) Engine breather needs replacing

They said it was a combination of all the above which was causing the jerking. That is something i am reluctant to believe, and with my lack of knowledge of cars i'm not sure which of the above is most likely to be causing the jerking, as i'm hoping that replacing one of the above could solve my problems, and save me a lot of money in the porcess, can anyone help? Also would just cleaning the throttle body, possible help resolve the problem rather than replacing it?

Thank you

Reply to
boy_wonder48

Starter motors are used to start the car and that's all. Ain't no way it could be causing jerking while driving.

Exhaust system is just for exhaust gases to be directed out the back properly, clean the emissions. Other than providing a certain amount of backpressure, this wouldn't affect how the car runs, especially not intermittently.

Throttle body needing replacing...might have a little something to do with rough running but yes...usually a good cleaning is OK.

Engine breather...what's that? Air filter? I doubt it's the cause though.

Find a different shop. This one is taking you for a ride.

First of all, we can help more if we knew what year you have, what engine it is. "Golf" isn't enough info.

When does it jerk? When cold, warm-up, or warm? Under a load or all the time? Uphill, downhill, both? Dry weather or damp weather?

Reply to
Matt B.

Would like to know how a starter can fix a jerking issue?????? My 2 cents... find a REAL VW garage! Or ask them after you have them replace all them parts and it still jerks do you get a refund$$$$$!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck