Remote not working 2000 Jetta

Hey not really a dork here but just bought a 2000 Jetta last night and the remote worked fine setting the alarm and locking the doors.Went to open the trunk with remote today and it would not.Now the trunk will not even open with a key and the alarm wont set when I lock the doors which I have to do manually.Is a fuse blown? Trying to figure it out in the manual but really doesnt describe this.Any Help please?Since I just bought this I dont really have the funds to take it to a dealership

-- tricia

View this thread:

Send from

tricia

No direct Jetta experience here, but have 2000 NB and Golf experience. Assuming you are referring to the remote activation features of the OEM key;

1) does the car respond in any manner when you press the remote buttons? If not, the battery in the key may need to be replaced. 2) did you receive a 2nd remote/key with the car? Try it. And/or try the valet key if you have one. 3) is the key you have the original or a replacement key? you can check the key # against the number recorded in the owners manual, or, thru the dealership. 4) if the car is difficult to start, or, slow turning over, the car battery itself may be low which could affect the operation of the remote system. Good Luck.
Reply to
Basil

remote worked fine setting the alarm and locking the doors.Went to open the trunk with remote today and it would not.Now the trunk will not even open with a key and the alarm wont set when I lock the doors which I have to do manually.Is a fuse blown? Trying to figure it out in the manual but really doesnt describe this.Any Help please?Since I just bought this I dont really have the funds to take it to a dealership.

Your car alarm won't set (honk) if any door is unlatched. I would try leaning on the trunk with all your weight to make sure it is latched, then see if the alarm will set. Maybe the trunk lock mechanism is stuck halfway.

The fuse list is here if you don't have it:

MKIV FUSE LIST

  1. Washer nozzle heaters, glove compartment light, memory seat control module (10A).
  2. Turn signal lights (10A).
  3. Fog light relay, instrument panel light dimmer switch (5A).
  4. License plate light (5A).
  5. Comfort system, cruise control, Climatronic, A/C, heated seat control modules, automatic day/night interior mirror, control module for multi-function steering wheel, control unit in steering wheel (7.5A).
  6. Central locking system (5A).
  7. Back-up lights, speedometer vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (10A).
  8. Open
  9. Anti-lock brake system (ABS) (5A).
  10. Engine control module (ECM): gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine, Model Year 2000 > (5A).
  11. Instrument cluster, shift lock solenoid (5A).
  12. Data Link Connector (DLC) power supply (7.5A).
  13. Brake tail lights (10A).
  14. Interior lights, central locking system (10A).
  15. Instrument cluster, transmission control module (TCM) (5A).
  16. A/C clutch, after-run coolant pump (10A).
  17. Open.
  18. Headlight high beam, right (10A).
  19. Headlight high beam, left (10A).
  20. Headlight low beam, right (15A).
  21. Headlight low beam, left (15A).
  22. Parking lights right, side marker right (5A).
  23. Parking lights left, side marker left (5A).
  24. Windshield and rear window washer pump, windshield wiper motor (20A).
  25. Fresh air blower, Climatronic, A/C (25A).
  26. Rear window defogger (25A).
  27. Motor for rear windshield wiper (15A).
  28. Fuel pump (FP) (15A).
  29. Engine control module (ECM) gasoline engine (15A); diesel engine (10A).
  30. Power sunroof control module (20A).
  31. Transmission control module (TCM) (20A).
  32. Injectors: gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine (15A).
  33. Headlight washer system (20A).
  34. Engine control elements (10A).
  35. 12 V power outlet (in luggage compartment) (30A).
  36. Fog lights (15A).
  37. Terminal (86S) on radio, Instrument cluster (10A).
  38. Central locking system (with power windows), luggage compartment light, remote/fuel tank door, motor to unlock rear lid (15A).
  39. Emergency flashers (15A).
  40. Dual tone horn (20A).
  41. Cigarette lighter (15A).
  42. Radio (25A).
  43. Engine control elements (10A).
  44. Heated seats (15A). Fuse arangements in fuse bracket/battery: S162. Glow plugs (coolant) (50A). S163. Fuel pump (FP) relay/glow plug relay (50A). S164. Coolant fan control (FC) control module/coolant fan (40A). S176. Relays panel interior (110A). S177. Generator (GEN) (90 Amp.) (110A). Generator (GEN) (120 Amp.) (150A). S178. ABS (hydraulic pump) (30A). S179. ABS (30A). S180. Coolant fan (30A).
Reply to
Dan Hannah