90 Nissan Axxess Bucking/Jerking Intermittently. Anyone ???

Hi all!

I've got a 1990 Nissan Axxess with a 2.4L motor and 5-speed manual transmission. Randomly and intermittently the vehicle will begin to buck and jerk above 2500 rpms in any gear while driving and even at stop in neutral while reving the motor up. It is almost as if there is a rev limiter cutting the motor in and out repeatedly and rapidly. Letting up the throttle will allow the engine rpm to come back down to a normal idle and smooth running motor; however, light acceleration or hard acceleration produces the same problem either way. The problem is random, meaning it occurs hot or cold, wet or dry conditions, after 2 minutes of driving sometimes or after a couple of hours of driving. The engine normally runs flawlessly, no missfires, no noises, and no lack of power, until these symptoms show up again.

Has anyone here had similar problems with their Axxess? And if so, what did you do to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jason P.

Reply to
Jason Powless

The van is in fail safe

The air flow meter is bad and needs to be replaced

Reply to
NissTech

Jason...we have a 1990 axxcess as well. Same problem. At 2500 rpms it will jerk. But not at a stop. What we found, that doesn't fix the problem, is if we turn it off, wait a second or two and restart it, it will run find. Tricky thing to do on the freeway. We don't stop, just keep going then restart. Have you found out what the problem is. Great car except for this.

Reply to
Bird woman